JJ - Finding an alternate mouthpiece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylm74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone out there change their mouthpiece from the standard one on the JJ (or any other for that matter) to something different? I have found that the mouthpiece doesn't feel right and I tend to produce a lot of extra saliva with it. My instructor thought I just wasn't holding it right in my mouth and letting a little water in. I suggested changing it and my instructor said that could impact the WOB, but I don't see it changing that much. I am just sick of having to do the roll to push the saliva to the counter lungs and that doesn't always work, especially after an hour dive or more.

Not a JJ guy, but I put the Aqualung Comfobites on my rebreathers. Gotta get the real ones though, the cheap knockoffs suck.

Alternatively you could get a gag strap, Drager or rEvo, and rely on the lip seal and relax your jaw a bit.

The Aqualung Comfobites is what I had in mind I have been diving them on my Apeks for years.

Modify the mouth piece
If too big
trim with sharp scissors and file smooth with wife's nail file
check for fit
trim again if necessary

If still uncomfortable
Purchase a moldable mouth piece
Drop in hot water while still hot bite on it mounding it to your dental impression

If a seasoned tough Kalifornia diver
We stick our heads in hot water then bite the mouth piece

SDM

The JJ mouth piece is BIG. the cynic in me feels it was the only way to get the WOB down so it would pass CE requirements. To be honest just keep diving it -
I'm not sure but I dont think many of the regular mouthpieces will fit over the opening..

I have never tried a different mouthpiece. Just eventually got used to the JJ and now its only on the 4-6 hour long dives that I start to gurgle from loose lips.

Comfobites for me (Meg, not JJ).

FWIW, I tried the moldable route, but quickly abandoned it for rebreather diving. The biggest problem is that the moldable mouthpieces "lock" your mouth to the DSV. That's fine for OC where you can turn your head and the second stage and hose move with you but with a relatively stiff loop, you're already limited in your ability to turn your head. It was worse with the moldables, which are pretty unforgiving. With the comfobite, I can swivel my head a bit around the mouthpiece to look from side to side. That was really hard on the moldable. It's not impossible to loosen your jaw and swivel the head a little, but not as easy.

With the comfos I did have to shave the mold lines along the sides of the mouthpiece because they irritated the sides of my mouth on long dives. That took 20 seconds with an Xacto knife.

Also, some of the moldables really do have smaller opening and I thought that might have some marginal impact on WOB.

Just bear in mind the units WOB performance is affected by mouth piece size. The degree to which your jaw is kept open by your mouthpiece affects the WOB on your unit

Anyone out there change their mouthpiece from the standard one on the JJ (or any other for that matter) to something different? I have found that the mouthpiece doesn't feel right and I tend to produce a lot of extra saliva with it. My instructor thought I just wasn't holding it right in my mouth and letting a little water in. I suggested changing it and my instructor said that could impact the WOB, but I don't see it changing that much. I am just sick of having to do the roll to push the saliva to the counter lungs and that doesn't always work, especially after an hour dive or more.

DL...

As has already been stated...if you mouth-piece receiver will fit...the Drager ''original Drager'' mouth-pieces work great...W. S. Water Safety GMBH in Berlin...easy ordering...quick turn around...

Your excess saliva could be caused because you're dehydrated...get yourself hydrated...you'll quickly realize the difference...

You may also have a leak...that's allowing water in your mouth...

Best...

Warren

DL...

As has already been stated...if you mouth-piece receiver will fit...the Drager ''original Drager'' mouth-pieces work great...W. S. Water Safety GMBH in Berlin...easy ordering...quick turn around...

Your excess saliva could be caused because you're dehydrated...get yourself hydrated...you'll quickly realize the difference...

You may also have a leak...that's allowing water in your mouth...

Best...

Warren

I would like to order one of those Drager mouthpieces for my rEvo (Drager) DSV.

I found the website you mentioned.

Dräger Dolphin/Ray Mundstück | Online Shop | W+S Water Safety Europe GmbH | Seit 1999

Unfortunately, I don't speak German and the online purchasing process isn't working for me - I think because I don't really understand what I need to put in some of the fields (even using Google Translate).

Do you (or anyone else) know where I can order that mouthpiece? A website in English?

I would like to order one of those Drager mouthpieces for my rEvo (Drager) DSV.

I found the website you mentioned.

Dräger Dolphin/Ray Mundstück | Online Shop | W+S Water Safety Europe GmbH | Seit 1999

Unfortunately, I don't speak German and the online purchasing process isn't working for me - I think because I don't really understand what I need to put in some of the fields (even using Google Translate).

Do you (or anyone else) know where I can order that mouthpiece? A website in English?

Hey Stu...

My computer will translate...and I speak a little German...

PM me...I'll give you my phone number...we'll converse on the phone...I'll have my computer on and walk you though an order...you may want to order up a set or two of the Drager DSV mushroom valves as well...your rEvo uses a Drager Ray DSV...

The folks at W S Water Safety are excellent...

Best...

Warren

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom