JJ CCR both shearwater and hud dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I sourced the resistors (luckily have an electrical store very nearby) and tried putting the 2 suspect SAFT batteries on. The result was amazing (or very strange if you will). With no resistance they both showed 3.5 volts, but putting on the resistor they were totally dead, not showing any voltage.
Glad to hear you were able to source proper resistors. Makes the test a hell of a lot easier than my MacGyver solution.

Will try that one as well, just to check how it goes ;-)

With no resistance they both showed 3.5 volts, but putting on the resistor they were totally dead, not showing any voltage.

Did you put your resistor in parallel with the voltmeter? Or did you just load the battery for a few seconds with the resistor, and then remove the resistor and measure the voltage directly?

Best thing is to check voltage under load...
That's how the device is testing the battery.... usally screen is the biggest draw

Why not just keep it simple and also cost effective and environmentally friendly. Just use a rechargeable

I have been using Orbtonic 14500 Battery 1100mAh Protected 3.7V Li-ion Rechargeable Cell Button Top rechargables in my JJ for 2-3 years now with no issues nor have I ever had a dead battery or had to worry about one. When the battery gets a little under half full I put a freshly charged one in and charge up the used one for for the next cycle. I have never had a dead battery and never had to stress about it or tinker around with multimeters. Also with the cost of the SAFTS you always play the game of lets see how many more dives I can get out of it while its on yellow/red to get your full money's worth. With a rechargeable you never have to worry about this.

It pretty simple if you use rechargeable's you have no excuse not to dive with "blue" level batteries and I don't know about you guys but personally part of my pre-dive JJ check is that my battery level is not yellow or red level and its literally a 1 minute fix to swap out a battery for fresh one if it is. Last thing you want is a dead battery with 3 hours of deco to go.

Back
Top Bottom