Jetski Scuba Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the jet ski is just the method of transportation why would anyone be against it for diving?
20 years ago i used to dive of a kayak and was quite fine. I would've been happier using a jet ski but couldn't afford it.
I don't see it as a need for speed, even if they are fun when going fast. What's wrong with enjoying the ride to the dive location?
When seas are flat, we go as fast as our boat would go. I see the fishermen with their multi engine open consoles going like the wind and it seems to be ok. I think jet skies going fast without getting close to any vessels or riding the wakes of other boats are just as acceptable as a 3-4 or 5 outboard center console going like a bat out of hell when leaving the inlet or any other location.

We were thinking about buying a couple of waverunners for our own use, and I am thinking about making a small platform (think small pontoon float with ladder), that can be towed behind the waverunner to the buoys and tied off. This would give me a ladder to get up, a place for my gear to be secure for the trip and something small enough that I can attach it/put it away quickly. We haven't decided on the waverunners yet, but if we do, this is a done deal. :wink: We live on Utila, which is surrounded by reef and dive sites/buoys. Ideal for this type thing.

I've never gotten into jetskis but I have heard that Extractor Sleds are considered the gold standard for tow-behind platforms and are used by public safety teams, serious offshore spearos etc. They are not cheap. You might find similar setups from other manufacturers or even fab your own with varying results.

. You may notice he doesn’t show getting back on his pwc

I hold the belief that dangerous things can be done safely.
It's not dangerous if it's done safely!

JetSki diving may be impractical, but I don't see it as impossible. In fact, I think I've seen it done at my local lake. I think the person parks their jet-ski on the shore of the lake or island, and then goes diving.

Doing that a 1+ miles from shore, you might want to run multiple anchors, check the anchors when you dive, and then have a plan for getting back to shore, if your jet-ski breaks loose.

A RIB (Rigid Inflatable Boat) may be much more practical, in terms of carrying gear and stability, while still being lightweight and manageable.

Only issues I see is securing the jetski and donning and doffing the your gear. Just cause its not a popular choice doesn't mean it cant be done. Some ones already mentioned a rescue sled, think that would be of use

Back
Top Bottom