Jaw Surgery and equalization

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

melissabeads

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi!

I broke my lower jaw this past October. I had surgery and had a titanium plate put in. I have healed well and we have a trip planned next month to Bonaire. I have had a few sinus issues since surgery and I am concerned that I may have a hard time equalizing. Has anyone had any similar situations?

We chose Bonaire for our first trip because we can go at our own speed in case I have issues. Its been 2 years since we have been underwater and I can't wait.

20 years ago I did break my right cheekbone (the one containing the jaw sinus). I also was worried about equalization of the sinus, but in reality there was no problem at all.
The titanium plaque and three screws are still in my cheek...

Thank you! That is reassuring!

But remember it is just one single case. Statistically irrelevant...
If I was you, before flying to a remote holiday location, I would make a test diving locally.
Perhaps just inside a deep pool, if you do not like diving in cold water (as me). Here we have that nice Y-40 pool, which allow to test your equalization at significant depth.
But usually you get problems in the first meters, so a pool with just 10m depth should be enough for being sure that your sinus equalizes properly.
You do not even need to carry a tank in the pool, you can easily free dive down to 10 meters.

I've considered hoping in a pool.. Probably a wise idea! . With the current Covid spread in Bonaire, we might postpone our trip anyhow.

Upper jaw, 4 plates, 10 screws. No long term issues. Surgery done before I was diving. Not sure how it will go so soon after surgery.

I would do a pool dive before making the vacation. If nothing else a refresher you know what you are still doing, the gear you have is still working right, and if everything in your head is right as well.

Can you clear right now (on land)? Clearing underwater is the same for me AS LONG AS I do it early & often (even before 3 ft).

Back
Top Bottom