Jardines de la reina, cuba and currents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heehee62

Contributor
Reaction score
How strong are the currents there and are there up/down currents. I'm considering doing the liveaboard but I've only had maybe 20-30 dives and am not the best diver.

Also, have any of you gone to tubbataha, other parts of phillipines, or bali?

I'm debating whether I should go to cuba or one of those places instead.

I was there in November. I assume that there may be differences with the time of the year. Almost no currents. No up or down. (I've been in the Indo Pacific with wicked up currents). Easy diving. If you've only done Caribbean diving, you'll love it. Great soft corals.

Places in the Pacific tend to have stronger currents. If you're not a good diver then I'd get more experience and then figure out where you want to go. Lembongan off Bali has strong currents but not every day. Bunker (Sulawesi) can have strong currents, but not every day. Philippines can be nice--I love Anilao and the currents there have generally been mild. Go with a good operator.

Thanks. That's very helpful. I think it's going to be cuba

Minimal/negligible current on nearly every dive(4 dives per day)during my week aboard the Jardines aggressor in late july. As stated in the above post, easy diving and arguably the some of the best in the caribbean. Coral coverage was excellent and overall healthy, especially pillar and Elkhorn. Abundant fish life, sharks present on every dive; reef, nurse and silkies

As for the Asian destinations you noted, I experienced strong, unpredictable currents in bali (nusa penida) and tubbataha. Also mostly drift dives @ bunaken as well, current often shifted wildly from zero to 4+ kts daily

Reefman
Key largo

heres a video of our trip shot by ALEXA FRINK using a gopro(no strobes) for the 1st time. topside stills by her and dad, underwater stills captured by her father STEPHEN. also a story of the gardens of the queen in this past edition of ALERT DIVER magazine,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Last edited:
We had no or negligible current in Jardines in September of 2015, anyway. Very easy diving. However, good skills and pristine places should go together or they won't stay pristine, so please keep that in mind and hope everyone keeps their distance from the reef.

Just as an aside, please consider reef safe sunscreen (if you wear any) and personal care products on the liveaboard.

heres a video of our trip shot by ALEXA FRINK using a gopro(no strobes) for the 1st time. topside stills by her and dad, underwater stills captured by her father STEPHEN. also a story of the gardens of the queen in this past edition of ALERT DIVER magazine,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo
Reefman / Alexa - Outstanding video! Thanks! That's a lot of free roaming sharks - was that a regular feeding station or just ones that you came across? and Whale Shark!(?) and the 'gator!

Back
Top Bottom