Japan's Galapagos - Diving the Ogasawara Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donsilcock

Contributor
Reaction score
In March last year I made the epic journey to the Ogasawara Islands to photograph the northern hemisphere humpback whales that visit the archipelago every winter.

The Ogasawara Islands are one of the most isolated and remote parts of Japan. Getting there requires a 24-hour journey on the Ogasawara Maru ferry from Tokyo - there are no airports... It was a great adventure and my article on the trip has just been published in a six-page article in X-Ray magazine:

https://indopacificimages.com/diving-the-ogasawara-islands…/

XR90_Ogasawara Islands_Cover_1500.jpg

Please try again.... I screwed up the link and have fixed it now - I think...

Yup, you fixed it. Thanks for the article! I've dove from Okinawa and Ishigaki and Japan is one of my favorite places, so a new locale is of interest!

Thanks a lot for this article:)

I've been in Japan six times (and soon I will go there again) but the Ogasawaras still elude me. I tried to contact a couple of diving ops last year but received no reply (kinda expected that) which put me off and decided to head elsewhere in Japan. Will go there though, soon hopefully.

I've been in Japan six times (and soon I will go there again) but the Ogasawaras still elude me. I tried to contact a couple of diving ops last year but received no reply (kinda expected that) which put me off and decided to head elsewhere in Japan. Will go there though, soon hopefully.

It's probably not for everybody - but I really enjoyed the whole thing of the Ogasawaras and I hope you do make it there!

Don

It's probably not for everybody - but I really enjoyed the whole thing of the Ogasawaras and I hope you do make it there!

Don

I like the fact that they're the perfect escape from the ultra-modern Japan (especially from Tokyo!). I do have somebody who can help me out with the japanese and contacts down there. Diving will be just one (and probably smaller) side of the trip, I find your article very useful on this aspect.

I like the fact that they're the perfect escape from the ultra-modern Japan (especially from Tokyo!). I do have somebody who can help me out with the japanese and contacts down there. Diving will be just one (and probably smaller) side of the trip, I find your article very useful on this aspect.

Thanks - I appreciate the comments and enjoy the trip!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom