January Weather / Water Temp... Anilao / PG vs elsewhere in Phil

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Trecker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How is weather in Anilao / PG in January? I heard reports of it being cold above and below the water. How much so? Was there in May and it was so warm and amazing. Worried might be a completely different experience.
Is the marine life affected and better / worse /same?
Should I look at elsewhere in the country?

Thanks to all in this forum for being so amazing!
Based on info here spent 10 days in May in Anilao / PG and it was absolutely AMAZING!!!

Heya

Jon from Blue Ribbon Dive Resort in Anilao here. I was in PG for 9 years before I moved to Anilao.

Both areas are about the same. The water temperature is probably around 25 degrees, yet it can sometimes drop a few more degrees if you are unlucky. The thing is, this is the best time for critters and finding odd stuff, the cooler temperatures bring the creatures up from the depths, and we find a lot more around January to March/April. It starts warming up after Feb, back to around 29/30 degrees in May. Pretty sure its the same all over the Philippines, but I could be wrong. Just bring a 5mm wetsuit if you have one as most resorts, including ours only have 3mm wetsuits as most of the year this is all you need. Or bring a hoodie, as a lot of heat is lost from your head when diving. Or, the other way, is to make sure you eat a lot over the Christmas period and have a good 'Biopreme' birthday suit, to help with the temperature.

Jon
www.blueribbondivers.com

Can be windy too in January.
I remember some jan or early feb stays where we had to look at the wind in the morning to check whether the further off island trips would be possible. Nothing impossible for the close dive spots tho (although more exposed sides would have crap viz).

Back
Top Bottom