January 2020 Observations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darook

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm nearing halfway through our two week trip and though I would capture some random observations so far on this my 11th (I think, may be 12th) trip to Bonaire.

1. Reef condition is good and really looks like it always has to me. Fish life is still great.
  2. The island is busy, parking lots are full, cruise ships are frequent and traffic is very noticeable at rush hour.
  3. Lots of new dining options though we eat in a lot. Stoked is a double decker bus parked by the Kite City food truck with terrific food and a nice place to eat on the second level with shade and a breeze. Doner Station may have been around a while but this is the first time I have tried it. Terrific and busy at lunch hour but not as busy as Between 2 Buns. Ocean Oasis in Belnem is really nice with a great sunset view. I haven't dined there yet but will shortly.
  4. The Zhung Kong has been rebuilt and is actually really nice. There is no sign on it but it is inside the new facade and has tripled in size. The same two young ladies work there.
  5. Chefs at Bamboo Bali is now the highest ranked restaurant. We are staying at Bamboo Bali but won't likely get to eat there as their reservations are weeks out. We are on the waiting list but not holding our breath. Until then I will be manning the grill for dinner.
  6. I toured the new super level units at Bamboo Bali today. Really nice! Probably above my pay grade but perfect for a honeymoon. Bamboo Bali is booked out months so their business is good.
  7. Bamboo Bali still needs two things. Fresh water in the dunk tanks every day and onsite laundry. I will bring it up again with the owners who are really good folks.
  8. My wife did the coral restoration course and loved it. She had a great time doing the work and has even done some more.
  9. There is a lot of construction on the island with heavy equipment moving across the roads. The roads were poor before and they have yet to improve.
I will share more as the trip progresses. I have to say so far this one has been one of the best.

We are halfway through our time here and this morning was for errands. Planning to get wet a couple times later today. @Trailboss123 and our wives and I have been diving a lot together and it has been awesome. They are heading home soon but we have 7 more nights.

Bamboo Bali will have 18 units when they are done with the construction which should be done in the Fall. The onsite restaurant Chefs is getting great reviews and in 6 months was the top rated place on the island. Gotta get reservations as they are booked out weeks. I don't think we will get to eat there during our stay. The resort is going to put some onsite laundry which will be a great add.

You can see diving pictures here. I will put up some other resort and island pics as well.

The Weber bbqs with the rooms are a big plus...

and the restaurant prices look decent $125 for 5 courses with the pairing....keen to hear a review..particularly a comparison to brass boer.

Have you seen what the construction of the Chogogo Resort south of Den Laman looks like these days? We were there in October, pretty busy, parking for Bari very dusty or muddy.

We're back 1st 2 weeks of April

Have you seen what the construction of the Chogogo Resort south of Den Laman looks like these days? We were there in October, pretty busy, parking for Bari very dusty or muddy.

We're back 1st 2 weeks of April
It is building up there. Parking at Bari was ok but you will get some muddy booties. The resort is the first AI on the island and is owned by TUI the Dutch travel company. Sounds like it will be packaged with travel deals including air and AI resort out of Holland.

BTW, Between Two Buns will be moving about a click towards town. They are building the property now. I am guessing they think they can get a bigger space if they build and are closer to the cruiser pier.

Being on the island on a Saturday when you are neither arriving, departing or orienting is lovely. Dive sites are not too busy, traffic is lower and there was no cruise ship today which is always a win.

Based on Bonaire construction speeds I doubt that they will be there in April. Good news is that Doner Station is right across the street from B2B. I have eaten there twice this week and not at B2B. If asked what my preference was for tomorrow I would say Doner. It is Turkish based Shwarma and the like and really tasty. Get the hot sauce, you will thank me later.

Also, there is a Chinese place immediately next door to the north of Bamboo Bali. We ate there last night and it was pretty darn good, especially their egg rolls. Nice change up from the usual island fare. That said, if we are eating out it is usually at lunch and cook for ourselves for dinner. Lunch menus are usually cheaper and I'm not into the two hour meal.

Really helpful, darook. Thanks!

Thanks darook!

T - 6 days and we will be there for 3 weeks. Enjoying the advanced intelligence. How bad is the dust/mud at dive friends Sand Dollar (next to construction site)? We liked the Donner Station last time we were there.

We enjoy multi week trips now. Not in a rush and it is ok to take a day off and just relax at the pool and visit parts of the island.

Winds don't look bad for Early February though it is picking up during the week but still due East with a slight North component. The northern sites should be ok up to Karpata up till Wednesday or Thursday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom