January '05 Trip to Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rgerman95

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife and I will be staying at the Westin Resort in Cancun in mid-January. I would like to ask your help with my questions:

1. Recommendations for a good dive op in the area? I would prefer a smaller operator and not a cattle-car situation.

2. What can I expect to pay for a two-tank dive trip including equipment rental?

3. What are some of the premier dive sites? I'll probably have time to devote two days to diving, so I want to make sure I have an idea of which dive sites to sign up for. I have an OW rating, if that is a consideration in your recommendation.

4. Is a 1-mm full suit sufficient for that time of year?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

cant speak for Cancun but I would take the short ferry ride to Isla Mujeres and look up the folks at Aqua Adventures, they are on the Avalon property. My wife and I dove with them at Thanksgiving...... excellent people..... the ferry is like 5 bucks and if you are taking your gear they will store it for you overnight. They are more money than the other ops but we felt the service we got was unbeatable.......

I'm not sure, but I might suggest a 3 mil. We are heading down in Jan. also, but in October, I was comfortable in my 3mil. Hoping it will be enough for January.

rgerman95:
My wife and I will be staying at the Westin Resort in Cancun in mid-January. I would like to ask your help with my questions:

1. Recommendations for a good dive op in the area? I would prefer a smaller operator and not a cattle-car situation.

2. What can I expect to pay for a two-tank dive trip including equipment rental?

3. What are some of the premier dive sites? I'll probably have time to devote two days to diving, so I want to make sure I have an idea of which dive sites to sign up for. I have an OW rating, if that is a consideration in your recommendation.

4. Is a 1-mm full suit sufficient for that time of year?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Rich,

I was last in that area (Cancun/Isla Mujeres) in February. Water temps were 79f at surface and 77f at depth. We dove in full 3mm, which I would recommend at that time of year. Be prepared to take wetsuit off during surface interval and put on something dry to prevent chilling if it is cool. Isla is a good idea, as suggested above, if you can work it into your schedule. I would suggest you take the mini bus from Cancun to Puerto Morelos to take one of the ferry ops. We actually stayed in Isla at a small hotel $25.00 nite. Plain, roomy nice with security at night. If a "norther" happens to blow through during your stay, you'll have a better chance of diving on the mainland side. It affords more protection during north winds. Dive ops will run n the range of $40 to $60 for two tank dives. Just depends. Rich, be sure to tell whoever you are going to dive with that you are OW, the number and type of previous dives you have done. Also, if you have any questions or concerns ASK BEFORE you go. You can't always eliminate surprises but you sure can minimize them. Have a wonderful trip and enjoy!!

Regards,

Cudabait:
Rich,

I was last in that area (Cancun/Isla Mujeres) in February. Water temps were 79f at surface and 77f at depth. We dove in full 3mm, which I would recommend at that time of year. Be prepared to take wetsuit off during surface interval and put on something dry to prevent chilling if it is cool. Isla is a good idea, as suggested above, if you can work it into your schedule. I would suggest you take the mini bus from Cancun to Puerto Morelos to take one of the ferry ops. We actually stayed in Isla at a small hotel $25.00 nite. Plain, roomy nice with security at night. If a "norther" happens to blow through during your stay, you'll have a better chance of diving on the mainland side. It affords more protection during north winds. Dive ops will run n the range of $40 to $60 for two tank dives. Just depends. Rich, be sure to tell whoever you are going to dive with that you are OW, the number and type of previous dives you have done. Also, if you have any questions or concerns ASK BEFORE you go. You can't always eliminate surprises but you sure can minimize them. Have a wonderful trip and enjoy!!

Regards,
Can you give more info about what you would recommend in Puerto Morelos?? Thanks!

My Husband and I, along with another couple will be traveling to Cancun January 8th through the 15th. My husband and his friend will be doing one of their first dives. As I do the planning/research, I chose to book with Manta Divers. Their web site is www.mantadivers.com and they list their prices on their website. They are basically a small operation, run by a couple from Texas. Also they have a pop up to another forum which was pretty informational. Depending on when you are going in January I would be more than happy to let you know how Manta Divers turns out.

Cudabait means to take the minibus to Puerto Juarez for the ferry to Isla Mujeres not Puerto Morelos. You catch the big bus in the main bus station in Cancun to get to Puerto Morelos only 16 pesos, 30 mins then you grab a cab to the dive shop, 3mins, 20 pesos. Our dives go out at 0800 so get up early and have some fun, dives are US65 for 2 tank incl gear. Best sites here are the wreck and rodman - all weather dependant of course its winter - wear a 3mm! Please send me a private message if you would like to know more about Puerto Morelos diving, i do not feel good about talking 'commercially' on SB. Hot and sunny today, wind dropping, divers were smiling again this morning!..cat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom