Jan. 13, 2016 Cottam Point (near Nanoose, Vancouver Island) video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very nice video. In all the years I have lived in the area I have only dove this site twice. Looks like I will have to head out there again soon while the visibility is so great. What bearing did you take from the entrance point, or did you just follow the contour down from where you entered ?

Divegoose

Straight out from the tip of the point towards Mistaken Island there's a wide, flat-topped rock reef dropping in small walls on each side. The tip of the reef ends in an area of boulders around 60' deep. I usually dive the left-hand (when looking out from shore) side of the reef. I don't follow a compass heading since the reef is just a continuation of the rocks on shore. I walk down to the corner of the point facing Madrona Point and swim out from there. I like to swim back to shore along the flat top of the reef. There are lots of huge rectangular boulders covered with zoanthids and guaranteed sealions in winter. I've heard of current being an issue here, but I've never bothered to time my dives here to any table and I've been ok.

Thanks for the information. I'll keep an eye on the tides and see what works.

Dove at Madrona this morning. Tide tables said we should have been on a low slack, but the current was ripping pretty good. When all the vegetation is lying flat on its side you know it is ripping :eek: To top that off, one of my buddies lost a weight pouch, my camera died after one picture even though I charged the battery yesterday, and the clip that holds my dive light on my BC broke - I didn't notice it until we were gearing down, and fortunately the light stayed attached to the BC.

Visibility was good, but better once you got deeper.

Divegoose

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom