Jammy reel - things to look for to diagnose issue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dewdropsonrosa

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I brought my Dive Rite sidewinder safety reel (one of the newer black models) out to play yesterday, and the damn thing jammed on me continually while spooling out. Reeling back in, I experienced fewer jams but still couldn't get a smooth wind for more than a few feet at a time.

While spooling out, I'd be kicking and spooling normally until suddenly, YANK! as the tension on the line pulled me back. I'd have to stop and then try pulling on the line in a few different ways until it started cooperating again.

Back on land, I wound out the full length and checked the line for damage, snags, spurs, etc. and didn't find anything. I re-wound it (paying very careful attention to wind continuously in the same direction and to do so evenly over the bobbin. I reeled it out again and still had jamming issues.

Thoughts on what could be wrong/how to fix?

If it's like with my reel:
How far did you back out the locking screw that bites into the reel's rim (and once not locked seems free to move either way with the lightest touch ... either to maybe cause jams if not backed out far enough or fall out alltogetger) ?
Could it be the culprit?
If it's something else, I am not sure, but that screw is a cheap ass & dumb locking approach and needs at least some drag added as is (in the case of my reel, not speaking for anyone elses).

Exactly how is it snagging/jamming?
Is the line in the spool getting stuck on other line or is a loop forming and getting off the spool and around the axle?

If it's like with my reel:
How far did you back out the locking screw that bites into the reel's rim (and once not locked seems free to move either way with the lightest touch ... either to maybe cause jams if not backed out far enough or fall out alltogetger) ?
Could it be the culprit?
If it's something else, I am not sure, but that screw is a cheap ass & dumb locking approach and needs at least some drag added as is (in the case of my reel, not speaking for anyone elses).
You're supposed to use your thumb to put tension on the spool so that it doesn't free run and get slack line fall off the spool.

Exactly how is it snagging/jamming?
Is the line in the spool getting stuck on other line or is a loop forming and getting off the spool and around the axle?

I'm pretty sure that it's not Option #2 (that happened once or twice, but pretty obviously). You might have it with #1 - I'll try reeling around the living room furniture tonight to see if that's it.

I brought my Dive Rite sidewinder safety reel (one of the newer black models) out to play yesterday, and the damn thing jammed on me continually while spooling out. Reeling back in, I experienced fewer jams but still couldn't get a smooth wind for more than a few feet at a time.

While spooling out, I'd be kicking and spooling normally until suddenly, YANK! as the tension on the line pulled me back. I'd have to stop and then try pulling on the line in a few different ways until it started cooperating again.

Back on land, I wound out the full length and checked the line for damage, snags, spurs, etc. and didn't find anything. I re-wound it (paying very careful attention to wind continuously in the same direction and to do so evenly over the bobbin. I reeled it out again and still had jamming issues.

Thoughts on what could be wrong/how to fix?

DD...

A little late to the picnic...but...

If it's not interference with the locking nut...you may have salt build-up on the spool shaft bolt...

Disassemble the spool and clean the bolt...lubricate it with silicone grease during re-assembly...should solve your problem...

Best...

Warren

I'm pretty sure that it's not Option #2 (that happened once or twice, but pretty obviously). You might have it with #1 - I'll try reeling around the living room furniture tonight to see if that's it.
If you wind the line onto the spool quite tight and even - once you get the reel wet the line swells and wants to snag on itself.

bobs right that's the way I teach , using a real is easy once you get the hang of it ...people who don't do deco or don't use a reel for penetration don't get how it is a learned talent , and just figure its not working correctly

I had a Dive-Rite reel hard-jam on me while doing wreck-line exercises - I went from happily reeling-in to will not turn period. Of course it happened in the middle of an open-water break/ascent, while I was having mask issues - Task loading is fun!

Turns out the spool (red) broke clear-through the center hub section, and then the two halves rotated relative to one another, camming the ends against the metal cage due to the irregular break. It could not be freed until the mounting bolt was removed and the spool was forced out of the cage.

Just-sayin it could be more than line-wrap pinching or a dragging lock screw ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom