Jamaica in november?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mels_2

Reaction score
My husband and I are new to diving and are thinking of going to sandals resort in November in Jamaica does amyone have experience with either the sandals resort dive masters or with the jamaica surf in November? would you recommend to new divers?

My husband and I were certified there two years ago and loved it! In fact, we're going back in August :D They don't have as much wildlife as other destinations, but that leaves more time to concentrate on your skills. If you go, say hi to the Terminator for us, he's one of the instructors.

which Sandals in Jamacia? There are about 8 of them there now.

Need to know which one if you want conditions suggestions.

About 6 months after my OW certification, my husband and I visited the Sandals resort in Ocho Rios Jamaica. As a new diver, with no clear water experience, I thought the diving was great. I was simply amazed that I could see further than 10 feet and enjoyed the warm water (I mostly lake dive). The condition of the reef and quality of marine life was very poor- but I didnt realize that until later (after diving in more thriving areas). The divemasters were knowledgeable & friendly and I had no complaints with the operation. Except maybe that this Sandals didn’t actually have diving so we had to walk to the Beaches resort next door- a short walk but not particularly safe IMO. This brings me to my main point. If your purpose is just to dive and never leave the resort, Jamaica might be ok for a 1st ocean experience. I would not go back ever again. When we werent diving we were absolutely miserable. Years later we still refer to that trip as Jamaica Mistaica. The people were unfriendly and rude (even staff within the resort), most of the couples we talked to there were very unhappy if they weren’t drunk. We were constantly pressured by resort staff to “let loose and party” with rum punch drinking contests, etc. Every time we left the resort we felt very unsafe, the souvenir guys were incredibly aggressive to the point of being scary. Perhaps it was just not our thing and you’ll have a blast. I have heard that Negril is much better than Ocho Rios- cant say for sure. We were told by another couple there that Sandals Ocho Rios was voted as the resort "most likely to cause a divorce" in some travel magazine and I believe it!

great choice any sandals is awesome. negril is the best for diving and facilities.
really nice 35ft twin inboard engine boat holds like 16 divers. i believe it even has a shower. i was diving with sundivers and they towed us in on day.

have dove all of jamaica check out my gallery for pics of negril sea life, the plane is deep plane in negril, the anchor is from runaway bay. sealife same all over but i believe they are bigger in negril.

we were planning on going to the grande oche rios one. we have been offered an incredible deal on the rates 50% off the hotel accomadations, and we have stayed at a sandals in st lucia 10 years ago and loved it, my concern is the surf as likely be our first dive considering hurricane season.

The reefs around Negril are supposed to be better than Ocho Rios.

I've been to both Ocho Rios, Montego bay, and Negril, but have only dove in Negril. I went thinking the diving wouldn't be that good from all the stories I've heard. It actually wasn't that bad. I mean you can do better diving in other places and If I was going on a "dive only" vacation I'd choose somewhere else, but for going on a nice relaxing vacation with the non diving spouse, I was happy with this.

One thing though about "Jamacia resort diving" is they do resort diver entry level diving. This is ok with some, but some people want more advanced dives. They also tend to do many of their dives as single tank trips. Just check before you go and see what they have to offer.

The water in Negril was crystal clear. You could stand on the boat and see the bottom at 100feet like it was only 20 feet deep. Some of the best vis I've ever dove. Even compared to Bahamas, Aruba, etc. The coral was good, but not perfect. Fish life was existant, but not abundant (due to some overfishing).

The water in Ocho Rios was so murky that if you waded in from the beach up to your chest you couldn't see your feet. Needless to say we didn't dive there.

As for rudeness and pushy vendors, this all depends on the resort area. Some resorts there the workers are great. Others are lazy. All the vendors are pushy somewhat. I found the ones when leaving the Dunns River Falls area to be the worst we encountered though. Simple rule is to ignore them and avoid eye contact. If you make eye contact with them then they will try to "reel you in". If you give them cold treatment they go on to the next "sucker" tourist and not bother with you.

-mike

In my experience, generally I've found the healthiest and most abundant marine life in Montego Bay and Negril. In fact they're a lot of great dive sites in the Negril area, accessible by boat. So I'd recommend a Sandals Hotel in mobay or negril.

As for November, this is right after the Hurricane season, so hurricane's shouldn't be an issue, however it's in the middle of the rainy/wet season so daily afternoon showers is a strong possibility.

No big deal though, shouldn't affect your diving or your time here.
Here's a link with info about the climate and weather patterns of Jamaica.
http://www.metservice.gov.jm/climate.asp?id=3
This is a post that I made a few weeks ago, cataloging a couple of the dive sites that I and other local divers frequent. http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=94128&highlight=Dive+sites+in+Jamaica

Hope it's of some help

ocho rios 60 miles north of mbj about 2 hour drive. the roads are not the best thing about jamaica. sandals gives 2 tanks around 9am. sign up for the next days dive as soon as you check in.

lots of reef fish, nurse sharks, turtles, and corals. vis close to 100 and water temps in the 80,s it doesnt get much better :wink:

I did my OW certification at Sandals Negril a number of years ago. We were there the week of Thanksgiving & week after Thanksgiving. No surf / breakers to speak of - wonderful experience overall. Dive shop is on the Sandals premises, but if you want to visit Beaches they ran a bus regularly between the two.

I've never been to any other Sandals location so I can't comment on Ocho Rios, Mo'bay, etc. resorts. Just the Mo'bay airport.

You can never be 100% sure about tropical storms. When we were in Little Cayman & Grand Cayman at that same time of year in 2003, the first named storm in recorded history to form in the Caribbean in November kicked up, and swells on the north side of both islands were a real issue some days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom