JAlbum skin for u/w photos - EXIF/Metadata

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SimonJ

Contributor
Reaction score
Well after a fair amount of work I am finally happy with the output from the skin I have created for JAlbum :)

The idea is that you can very quickly and simply turn a group/directory of photos into a website, and have them display as much EXIF/Metadata as possible, automatically. I have tried a number of look and feels, and in the end concluded that Gilligan has it about right :)

In the end I opted for using the overlib script to display the EXIF information, but like Gilligan, I have made it appear when you mouse over a small camera icon, rather than over the photo. This way, you can view the images undisturbed, and only view the EXIF data if you wish to. I did try playing with getting the web page to write a cookie based on the users preference for seeing this information or not, but could not get it to work so gave it up.

As you will see from the gallery, you have to be very very careful when editing the images, as the vast majority of photo manipulation programs (including Photoshop CS) have a habit of losing EXIF data when you re-save the files. I spent a lot of time trying to find the best method for storing a name or description for the file. I tried a variety of methods, including naming the actual file, but in the end found that the most efficient way is to write a description to the file EXIF information. It might take a little longer, but I believe it is worth it, as once written to the EXIF data, it is permanently stored as part of the JPG, and can be read and used by a variety of applications. IMHO only use EXIFER to add additional information to the file, as other programs, including Photoshop CS destroy some or all of the data written by the camera (see the first 3 or 4 files in my Grenada gallery).

There is some error handling included as I extract the EXIF information. Essentially, if it finds the particular fiend, the script uses it and if it does not find it, the script displays "Not available". This is not perfect, as sometimes, like with the flash the EXIF data is blank if the flash is not fired. As a result the script returns not available, when perhaps it should read Not fired...I will work on this.

Some points of note about the skin...
- It has been setup to read certain EXIF data based on Canon maker notes. This can be very easily altered for other camera makes, such as Olympus et al
- The script reformats the focal length for 35mm equivilance...again this is specific for my Canon S400, but can be easily alerted for other cameras
- By default, the skin does not add the watermark showing copyright information, but this is trivial to add in

An example of the output from the skin can be seen at http://www.simonandmerith.com/diving-grenada2003/index.html although the images have been sized to be viewed with the menu I use, so it might look better if you click through from http://www.simonandmerith.com/ (ignore the missing images...I will fix them later). The images in this gallery have also been run through Photoshop to create the edges fading to black (again credit to Gilligan). I have this as an action if anyone wants it.

I would really like peoples views on this look and feel...and anything else. Personally I am happy with this process, but I appreciate everyones views are different, and I would am keen to get feedback.

If people are interested, I can make the skin, Photoshop actions and a small user guide available to download. I think all things being equal, we should call it the Gilligan web creation process :) Please acknowledge the authors of the Overlib script, EXIFER and JAlbum where possible, as they make their software available free of charge.

Congrats Simon. It looks real good. You put a lot of work into it. Kudos to you for offering it to others. It's called the "Aloha Spirit" here.

Very nice, Simon! If I didn't already have Scuba Shots, I would use it.

Dee pointed me to this thread...

My January project is to create a photo gallery for the web so friends and family can see my pictures. I am not sure where to start or what I need so am grateful for any starting tips, pointers, advice etc. I don't even know which program I need!

As a starting point, I decided to head to my hard drive and start selecting images...beyond that I am a bit clueless and reading as much as I can find. I am a complete novice in Photoshop when it gets beyond the very basics, but I am learning every day through practice.

I appreciate any tips and tricks that may help me avoid the common errors I am sure to make trying to do things on my own!

Thanks for the positive feedback guys and girls....really appreciate it. I will pull the relevant files and documentation together in the next couple of days and post a link so people can download it and try it out. Think I will call it the Gilligan or perhaps the Aloha skin :)

Alcina....the best advice I can give you is to have a play. There are a number of good applications out there for turning a directory of photos into an easy to view and pleasing to look at website. IMHO the two that I have found the best are JAlbum which is a freeware program with various skins that produce nice looking galleries, the other isExpress Thumbnail Creator which is free to try and cheap to buy and very very easy to use.

A few things I have learnt along they way that might be of use...
- NEVER ever play with the original images. Always make a backup copy and use those to create the website from. That way if anything goes wrong, you can easily just copy them back from the source.

- Whilst I am still somewhat guilty of this with my current site....less really is more. Be very selective in the photos that you add to your gallery. A few well chosen photos looks a great deal better than a raft of uninteresting ones, that people have to look through to find the good ones.

- Be aware that different people use different browsers and have varying internet connection speeds. As a result, try and keep the main photos to 200k or less and size them to fit easily in a browser at 1024x768 screen size

- Navigation is the key to a good website. Try and keep it simple and easy to navigate...try and put yourself in someone else's shoes, particularly someone not very confident on the internet. IMHO thumbnails are a great way of displaying lots of pics, as they allow people to select only the photos they want to look at. I also like to have small but prominent icons that allow someone to move back and forward through the photos, and another to go back to the index page

- Personally the only two colours that I would consider for the background are white and black. The idea is to show off the pictures, and this is best done by having as little in the way of distraction as possible. White is very clean and elegant, whereas black is very good for bringing out the colours and enhancing the photos.

Hope this helps :)

OK...I'm confused again...which isn't hard to do nowdays!

Simon, when I go to your gallery, all I see is your album photos with a shadow against a white background. The photo pages are the same. Is this design, shadows and white background, considered the skin? Where do we see what the 'Aloha' skin looks like?

Dee....I have only converted the photos from my last dive trip to Grenada over to the new skin. If you click through to the Grenada dive photos or go to http://www.simonandmerith.com/diving-grenada2003/ you should see the photos against a black background produce by the Aloha skin.

Back
Top Bottom