Jacques Cousteau’s Legacy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CT-Rich

Contributor
Reaction score
I just caught this rather enjoyable documentary about some of the legacy of JYC on Amazon Prime. At 44 minutes, it was never going to go that in depth about some of JYC’s accomplishments and faults, but they did a decent job returning to three influential dive spots visited by JYC and his team.

It would actually be interesting to see an entire film series revisiting the locations of some of his historic documentaries. Recap changes that have gone on in the intervening decades, not just with the ecosystems, but also the attitudes of the science community and the wider public. I have a feeling this may have been the original pitch for a series and what we have here is just the pilot episode.

i found the part where they were drinking, smoking and playing poker under the ocean quite humorous!

yes it was a different time back then

It would actually be interesting to see an entire film series revisiting the locations of some of his historic documentaries. Recap changes that have gone on in the intervening decades, not just with the ecosystems, but also the attitudes of the science community and the wider public. I have a feeling this may have been the original pitch for a series and what we have here is just the pilot episode.

Of course JYC and JMC did something like that back in the 1980s: Cousteau's Rediscovery of the World series for TBS. I worked on the two hour Channel Islands episode back then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom