Jacques Cousteau Ship Wreck Find

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Greetings

I'm doing some research on a ship wreck in the Mediterranean area that I first saw on a Jacques Cousteau TV episode. I believe it it was filmed in the late 60's or sometime in the 70's.

In the show the Calypso crew dives to a ancient wreck. They find bronze cannons and many other artifacts. Some of those were what the thought were cannon balls. After they got all the stuff they found from the dive they assembled it on the deck of the Calypso.

At this point one of Jacques men comes up to him with one of the cannon balls (of which there were many) and he flicks it with his knife and says " This is not a cannonball ... this is hashish ! "

Next the scene changes to Jacques filming his crew later that night sampling the ancient hash. His quote is "as you can see it is still potent".

Does anyone remember seeing this episode and if so what Cousteau episode it was ? I've reviewed the Odyessy series and it does not seem to be in there. Diving for roman plunder and cradle or coffin look similar , but are not the same show.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am attempting to research and write a paper about this wreck and its finds. I wish I could have recorded that episode back in the day. It would be so much easier. Any clues welcomed.

Thanks in advance

The Cousteau Odyssey Series came later. In the early 70's (maybe even late 60's) it was the "Undersea Word of Jacques Cousteau". This series is not yet available in DVD here in America (it is available in Europe, but is a different format). Many of the episodes are available in VHS tapes.

You probably want to get in touch with Ryan at this web site. He is probably one of the most knowledgeable collectors of Cousteau items and can probably direct you to which episode. While you are at his site take a look in his online museum at many of Cousteau's items.

Flashback Scuba: Simply Adventure

Good luck

If you need a dive buddy to help you go get the, uhm, "artifacts," let me know. :D

I'm sure Jacques and the Calypso crew cleaned the dive site up good and proper. Its more that I want to see the video again and be able to write about the find.

My colleagues are doubtful that I really saw the episode as explained , now i'm dying to prove them wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom