Jacques Cousteau biopic The Odyssey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DevR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm sorry if this is old news. I did a brief forum search and didn't see anything about it.

Anyway, I stumbled across a biopic about Cousteau on Netflix. It's interesting. The scenery is beautiful.

I'm old enough that I used to watch The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau when I was a kid. PBS should show reruns.

L'odyssée (2016) - IMDb

I'm sorry if this is old news. I did a brief forum search and didn't see anything about it.

Anyway, I stumbled across a biopic about Cousteau on Netflix. It's interesting. The scenery is beautiful.

I'm old enough that I used to watch The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau when I was a kid. PBS should show reruns.

L'odyssée (2016) - IMDb

I watched the film on Netflix too. It's always hard to watch a film about a subject one has a lot of background info on. I thought the cinematography was great. If I didn't know the story I think I'd be fairly confused in parts. So much was left out diving wise, but its not a film about diving, or even the history of diving. It's a film about a few (a very few) of Cousteau's trials and tribulations during his life. I liked the film but it's not what I would have done (had someone offered me a film production company of course). They got Phillipe's death completely wrong. As I understood it the aircraft nosed over during a high-speed taxi run on a river undertaken to check the hull for leakage following repairs. It crashed into a sand bank, the propeller detached from the engine and killed Cousteau instantly. At least that was the version I heard at the time he died.

In two scenes dual post DIN valves popped out like an infected sore thumb to a hyper-technically observant vintage nerd like me but would not have meant anything to the general public. Likewise, there is a scene with Phillipe and his new wife going for a dive and both have their regulators on backwards (cans facing away from the back). Who was their historical diving coordinator? Blasphemy!

b9mmvx.jpg

Call me a critic. :) My 2-psi. Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom