Ixtapa-Zih

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not the Caribbean (or South Pacific), but we had a nice time in March '04 for a couple of weeks. Got in a dozen dives before things started getting churned into a froth. Vis improved after a couple days of yuck, but a dozen dives was enough to see pretty much what there was to see.
Very rocky, mucho surge around the best sites. One, shallow bay had nice color and activity. Carlo Scuba did us right. Staying in Ixtapa? Zihua is charming.
Have a great time.
Craig-

ckofabq:
Vis improved after a couple days of yuck, but a dozen dives was enough to see pretty much what there was to see.

Craig-

This is an odd comment. You could spend a life time underwater and still not see everything there is to see...

I dove there in March of '05 and it was excellent. You should prepare for mid 60 degree water at depth. I dove with a group called Ixtapa underwater paradise or something like that. They had 2 shops in Ixtapa, 1 in the Hotel Barcelo and the other on the main blvd not far from the Carlos & Charlies. The sites I dove were: Morro Del Chato - a nice pinacle, Morros De Potosi - off the coast so more wild, and the last was Caleta de Chon. All of these sites are described on: http://www.ixtapa-zihuatanejo.com/

W.

Its just about my favorite place in the whole world to dive. The first time I was there, was in August, 2004. It was so hot out that I couldn't wait to get in the ocean to cool off. I got in the water and it didn't cool me off a bit. It wasn't until about 80 feet that the water got cool enough to be pleasantly cool. My low for August was 81 degrees in the water. I always dive with Carlo Scuba. It is trully a great operation. And, if you have the time, you can just hang out at the beach by the shop after the dive. Its one of my all time favorite beaches. I think its called Los Gatos or something like that. (I sat and watched the Olympics via a dish antena while drinking beer on the porch of the shop.)

It's Called Playa Las Gatas, and it is definitely cool. I gotta say that diving in February in Zihua the vis was garbage all 4 dives we went, even had to abort one off of lonely rock, so i wasn't that impressed. I would love to go to morros de patosi though, I hear thats excellent. I loved diving ixtapa. Even saw a couple whales during the surface interval. how's that for a 2-fer :) I'll bet its better in august. I gotta say, being up and down the riviera for 4 months, Zihua is my fave place in mexico for just chilling, but i love cabo for diving.

Also, Carlo scuba is Excellent and they worked well with us. There's a new company that worked with us called Zihuatenejo Dive center as well, and they were very good too. At the pier, veer left past the cabs, then up onto the bridge over the river, they are right on the other side. good prices and brand new equipment.

Just spent 7 days in ZIH - Ixtapa, we were there from March 25th - April 1st 2006.

I was pleasantly surprised at the diving there. We wanted to dive with Carlos Scuba, but he was booked up. He recommended Ixtapa Aqua Paradise. Their office is located in the Barcelo Hotel. (I am pretty sure that's the dive op that Weiland is referring to in post# 4)
You can check them out at: www.ixtapaaquaparadise.com
We were very happy with the dive op. They were very professional but also fun. Even though they were not our 1st choice, if we go back we will dive with them again. They have 2 six pack boats, so they can handle more divers than Carlos Scuba. He told us, on the phone, he only has 1 boat & can only take 6 divers.
Aqua Paradise boats leaves from Puerto Mio. It was an $8.00 cab ride from our hotel on Playa La Ropa, in Zih. One day we walked from the pier into Zih centro & took a bus back to our hotel.

I thought the diving was really good. We saw tons of rays, seahorses, lobsters, a large variety of fish. We did a night dive that was one of our best ever.

I'll post my trip report a later.

tghd:
This is an odd comment. You could spend a life time underwater and still not see everything there is to see...

You're right. I'm wrong. No argument. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom