" I've looked at clouds from both sides now"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natasha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Does anyone really like to fly? Ya know, is the joy and excitment of getting on an airplane still there for you?
What's the max time you want to be in the air?

Hmm . . . yes and no.

Yes because it signifies that I am going "on vacation". Of course, this only works on the flight out and not the flight home. :)

No, because I have gotten way too big for the cramped little seats to be anything close to comfortable. When I was a kid, it was all great - there was no part about flying that I didn't love. As I got older (and larger) the seats started shrinking and I found my enjoyment decreasing in direct correlation to each hour I was on the plane. Flying first class is a little better (when I am lucky enough to be able to), but I still am ready to get off at the end of the flight.

Max time I want to be in the air - 8 hours. That's about the length of time if I fly direct into Dallas - yuk. By then I'm ready for a cane in order to get off the plane. However, if I'm traveling any further, ie east coast, europe, etc - I have at least another few flights to look forward to after that.

I enjoy the moment when the nose lifts and the plane surges into the air. Still gives me a buzz.

The dinky little meals don't amuse me the way they did when I was ten. Especially now that I'm a vegetarian and most of them are vile. I've given up on the window seats as well... I've seen enough clouds. My mind wanders during the safety briefing.

As for time, the shorter the better. One to two hours is no big deal. More than that requires mental fortitude. I have flown from NZ to the UK (or vice versa) several times... takes 24 to 30 hours, depending on the route... and that's a killer.

Zept

42 hour flight from Atlanta to Perth West Oz (not all airborne), 6 times a year.

Yes, I kind of have a slight dis-taste for flying.

Private plane flying still gets me going. There's just something about being able to see out the front of the plane!

As far as that goes, very small commercial prop planes have given me the same thrill. I remember seeing through the windscreen on the flight from San Pedro back to the Belize International airport. Even sitting in the rear-most seat I could clearly see the runway as we came in for our landing.

Large jets are another story entirely. Mostly, it's just boring. Two or three hours is a breeze, but if the flight takes longer than my reading material lasts, I am one unhappy camper.

I love to fly, not so much large commercials but small planes and, even more, helicopters.

Also love that song line.

Tom

For me, flying and diving run neck and neck. I have to say that I have a different perspective on flying than most since I generally am the one in either the left or right seat. My best buddy is in the other one. When you push the throttle forward and the plane tries to move to the left off the runway and you give it rudder to stay straight. That is one of the best parts. The other parts of flying I like best I haven't done in a long while. Like being upside down. Now that's a blast. A hammerhead turn is pretty intense as well, you go straight up until the plane stops flying, kick hard rudder and opposite aileron, and then you are looking straight at the ground. It's a rush, but aerobatic airplanes are expensive. One day.....

Then again, flying on the airlines is like sitting in an uncomfortable chair in my living room.

Diving is like flying, but with out the wings and engine. It's like the way I used to dream about flying. I never get tired of diving and I don't get to dive enough either.

By the way, my best buddy, Donna, got her Air Transport Pilot rating last Friday. For those that don't know, that is the rating you have to have to sit in the left seat of an airliner. Anyone need an ex-Aero Professor for a commercial pilot? Donna is looking for a flying job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom