Itinerary says Osprey Reef on the Diversity - -Comments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caymaniac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just made June reservations for Cairns for 12 days but included in that is 4 nights on board Diversity a new cat out of Port Douglas with Quicksilver. Do Osprey, look for Minkes and see Cod, do North Horn and Pixie as well.
Anyone been to any of these, they all sound good, but, have you been there?
Thanks,
Caymaniac :)

Osprey and North Horn (same complex) are not to be missed. Nice sites, ranging from 0' to well beyond recreational depths, with a good supply of sharks and the occasional potato cod.

They were the centerpiece of my trip on the Undersea Explorer.

What kind of corals did you see, hard corals, were there any soft corals? What was the fish life like, healthy, colorfull, or not that great? Did you encounter any Minkes?
Did you do Dain Tree hike? How about Kurunda?
What would you say on land is not to be missed?
Our first trip down under.
Caymaniac

caymaniac wrote...
What kind of corals did you see, hard corals, were there any soft corals? What was the fish life like, healthy, colorfull, or not that great? Did you encounter any Minkes?
Did you do Dain Tree hike? How about Kurunda?
What would you say on land is not to be missed?
Our first trip down under.
Caymaniac
The things that first come to mind are the sharks and the giant potato cod. Other fish life was good, but not in the aquarium category of some of the later dives like Steve's Bommie.

No Minkes, but plenty of dolphins and false pilot whales played around while we were underway.

Landside I took the railway up to Kuranda and the skytram(?) back. The slow floating return above the forest canopy was spectacular; the train trip was nothing special.

No offense to our Aussie friends, but Cairns is not a lovely town. Port Douglas was a lush, quiet little place, though I didn't spend much time on shore. Don't expect much in the way of development there.

Here's a link for Osprey you might find interesting.

Just did Osprey reef in Oct/Nov on the Undersea Explorer. Really nice place to go diving.

Back
Top Bottom