Itinerary Check - Malapascua 3 days, Moalboal 3 days

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Antshill

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all, I was able to grab a rather affordable detour to Philippines for my first time. I was wondering what everyone thought of this itinerary.

I got my OW certification in Koh Tao in Nov 2018, and since then did 4 dives in Hawaii in Oct 2019. I had great buoyancy control during my certification. I gained about 15-20lb of fat and had terrible buoyancy control in Hawaii. I went from needing 1Kg of lead in Koh Tao - to 6.5Kg in Hawaii. Also when I learned I had tech gear, when I did my rec dives in Hawaii - it was jacket style bcd.

My current itinerary has me flying into CEB, heading to Malapascua and doing my AOW+Nitrox with Evolution.

I have my own mask and snorkel. I'm looking to purchase either a used Dive Computer or a i300c/Geo 2.0/Puck Pro Plus. Also likely going to get my own booties, I dove without booties in Hawaii and caught some really painful blisters.

I also pieced together a gopro video kit I'm going to bring along. GoPro 5 Black, 2x 20,000lumen 120 degree lights, backscatter dive filter, and the dive tray.

I am flying into CEB and should be arriving at 1:15PM on 21st of January. From speaking with Evolution in Malapascua - thats likely cutting it way too close to make it to Malapascua that day, so I'll likely take the bus and spend the night in Maya.

From there, I'll likely mosey over to Malapascua around 9AM and make it in time for the PM dive.

22 January
  • PM Peak Perf Buoyancy
  • Nitrox class + Deep briefing
23 January
  • Deep - Thresher Sharks
  • Navigation
  • Night
24 January
  • Photo
  • Day Trip to Kalanggaman for 2 dives
25 January - travel to Moalboal

26 - 28 - Dives in Moalboal
  • Sardines
  • Likely Cebu Dive Centre
  • [edit]I saw that @kkshxt was able to have Quo Vadis do an early sardine dive which looks spectacular. I just reached out to them to see whether they'd do the same.[/edit]
29 January 11AM - fly out of CEB and homeward.

Questions:
  1. Does my day split make sense? Any red flags?
  2. With the recent typhoon - is there reason for me to be concerned?
  3. Dynamite Fishing in Malapascua - how bad is it?
  4. With my 11AM flight on the 29th I should be good diving the full day on the 28th right? Thats more than 18 hours
  5. Does my break down on days make sense? Should I change it at all?
  6. For Moalboal - looks like everyone recommends Cebu Dive Center?
  7. Any recommendations for moalboal dive sites I should attempt to request?
  8. Is the sardines dive still a shore dive?
  9. Anyone have recommendations on how to get from Malapascua to Moalboal?
Thanks everyone!

Questions:
  1. Does my day split make sense? Any red flags?
  2. With the recent typhoon - is there reason for me to be concerned?
  3. Dynamite Fishing in Malapascua - how bad is it?
  4. With my 11AM flight on the 29th I should be good diving the full day on the 28th right? Thats more than 18 hours
  5. Does my break down on days make sense? Should I change it at all?
  6. For Moalboal - looks like everyone recommends Cebu Dive Center?
  7. Any recommendations for moalboal dive sites I should attempt to request?
  8. Is the sardines dive still a shore dive?
  9. Anyone have recommendations on how to get from Malapascua to Moalboal?
1. Fine
2. NO
3. Not much
4. I would arrive at Cebu City on 28th. How about a snorkeling trip to Oslob and then onward to Cebu City on 28th?
5. NO
6. Nelson
7. The Sanctuary
8. You have to ask them.
9. Public and start early because it will take a wee bit of time.
10. Have nice trip

7- Pescador going right hand shoulder to the cathedral not the shallow left shoulder dive and do it deep (35m or so : giant spanish dancers, 40cm long). Apart from that dive the rest of the dives in Moalboal are pretty meh, some nice corals but the fish have gone AWOL.

41979743442_f01fd8eccd_z.jpg

27154292127_04d7f93e69_z.jpg

41305438954_59a6acafe6_z.jpg

Oh man! Luko some of your pictures are the reason I want to get into UW videography/photography!

Thats sort of depressing that Moalboal isnt all that. Reading on these forums and reddit it sounded like:

1. You go to Malapascua for Threshers and doing certifications
  2. Moalboal has the bucket list sardine dive + better marine life
But it sounds like from what you're saying Moalboal isn't that great at the moment.

I have no problem to spend a few days diving in Moalboal.

Go and see for yourself and draw your own conclusion. You are the better judge than anyone else.

Very true Centrals! I am currently all about getting more dives under my belt so more dives the better!

According to Evolution’s FB post today, they were hit by Typhoon Ursula. They will be busy repairing and assessing needs, very busy indeed in the next 24 hours, but asked that anyone with an imminent booking contact them after the 26th. There may be some cancellations by the sound of it.

FT:
According to Evolution’s FB post today, they were hit by Typhoon Ursula. They will be busy repairing and assessing needs, very busy indeed in the next 24 hours, but asked that anyone with an imminent booking contact them after the 26th. There may be some cancellations by the sound of it.
Ugh, I’m supposed to be diving from Jan 3rd with them...

I'm in Moalboal currently. Boats were locked down yesterday (Christmas) due to typhoon, but we did 3 shore dives including the sardines. Boats are a go today (26) so we will be heading to Pescador Island.

Ursula should not have caused any damage here. Some light winds and rain is all we experienced. I can't speak to the different operators, but we are at Kasai Dive.

I should be at Evolution in a week...so should see first hand how things are there.

Please keep us updated! Here’s hoping you guys have great dives!

how were your dives today?

Back
Top Bottom