Italy diving - worth it? (late May)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frankly speaking, given that you don't have much experience, don't have much time, and you haven't been in Italy for so much time, I would skip diving.

Italy usually doesn't offer the same scenario of the Maldives or the red sea, except for some places (for instance, Ustica), and this can be disappointing for many divers. There are many exciting things, but they often require technical training, for example, the Haven wreck or the caves in Sardinia. But given your level of training, many of these amazing things are out of your possibilities.

On the other hand, in the dry part of the world, Italy has to offer so much; close to Naples, there are so many unique places to visit: the Costiera Amalfitana, Pompei, Naples itself, Capri, Ischia and the amazing Reggia di Caserta (imagine a small version of Versailles).

If you really want to dive, I would think about the experience in the submerged city near Naples, but it's up to you to decide whether the cost of bringing the equipment is worth a single dive. You may try to get in touch with some local diving centres if you want more details, but obviously, they will try to sell their products, no matter what...
Thanks for the info, yes our trip to Italy is mainly about sightseeing..we are doing Venecia, Napoles and Roma. But my thing is diving ;-) I got into it when I was 15, back in the 70's. Left it for 40 years..and here I am back again. To me BCD, octopus and computers are all pretty new (won't bore you with what diving was like back then, but just to say - things have changed a lot..). I always try to dive with my kids, so it is always with a dive center, specially when it is in a unknown place. From what you are saying the Parco at Baia is not that special ? I wouldn't bring my equipment for just one or two dives, as you said far too expensive, we would be renting everything. I am not used to the Maldives or anything as exotic..we normally do all diving in southern Spain and southern Portugal. I appreciate Italy and Spain share the same Mediterranean sea, so not much that will vary from one place to another..this is why I particulary looked at Baia...

The underwater city of Baia has many very shallow parts I believe (5 m or so). Book an afternoon snorkeling trip to see the underwater ruins and spend the rest of your time on dry land. Saves the hassle of bringing scuba gear. I think a mask, snorkel, and fins are included in the snorkel trip.

Hi Cheizz, I was thinking of renting the gear and going on a guided dive with a local center...it all ends up costing money, multiplied by three..but I did read that visibillity can be an issue at Baia..not sure if my kids would enjoy 5 meters down to see something and up again, all the time. On a day with good visibility I am sure you can see a lot even if you just stay at the surface.

Hi @Nik in Spain , I actually never dived at Parc di Baia, but it's on my bucket list. I think it can be an amazing experience.

But just for that dive, you need to bring all your equipment with you. I wonder, does it worth? If you really love diving, sure, go. It's an experience you can do only there, and nowhere else probably.

An alternative is to rent the equipment on place.

I hope my message is clearer now :)

Hi @Nik in Spain , I actually never dived at Parc di Baia, but it's on my bucket list. I think it can be an amazing experience.

But just for that dive, you need to bring all your equipment with you. I wonder, does it worth? If you really love diving, sure, go. It's an experience you can do only there, and nowhere else probably.

An alternative is to rent the equipment on place.

I hope my message is clearer now :)
Hi ginti, yes, I thought of renting equipment. I know it's not ideal, but it is only for one day. I feel the same as you - it can only be done there. Not sure if in my lifetime I will hit Italy again, so best to do it now ;-) Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom