IST Full Face Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Euroboy_DC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Good afternoon!

I'm in the market for a full face mask. I see a pretty wide range of prices, but was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the IST [Pegasus] Full Face Mask. Needless to say, the price sounds too good to be true, but it also doesn't cost anything to ask. Here is a link to the mask. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

IST Pegasus Full Face Diving Mask - Online Scuba Gear

Thanks!

The lens set up looks really odd. I've never used a full face mask but I have heard my fair share of opinions on them.
Are you planning on doing any commercial diving of any sorts. I think this is marketed as such. I read on one site that you have to remove your regulator mouth piece (and possibly zip tie it to your mask)
House of Scuba: Pegasus Commercial Diver's Full Face Silicone Scuba Diving Mask

Personally, if this is for recreation, I don't think full-face masks are a good idea, clearing the mask could be a bother, sharing air would require a different set of skills you may have not been trained in (and I'm speaking for both a donor and receiver perspective)
To add on, will you be doing any surface swims, beach entries etc. Think long and hard about the processes of a complete dive, from your car to the site back to your car. If you can still imagine yourself enjoying a full face mask then I say go for it.

It is real cheap and I do think it's legit. I have an IST wetsuit, which I can describe as good quality.

I've used that mask (in it Poseidon guise) extensively. It is not really a full face mask, in that there is no oral/nasal cup. It is basically a regular mask, with a chin cup added on.It is used with a standard mouthpiece inside that cup. It is fine for cold water (which was our use) but is not appropriate for polluted water or u/w communications.

I've used that mask (in it Poseidon guise) extensively. It is not really a full face mask, in that there is no oral/nasal cup. It is basically a regular mask, with a chin cup added on.It is used with a standard mouthpiece inside that cup. It is fine for cold water (which was our use) but is not appropriate for polluted water or u/w communications.

Hello!

Thanks for your reply! I'm actually looking at that mask purely because I don't like using a mouthpiece at all due to some gag reflex issues I'm having. So I just want it to breathe through my mouth but without a mouthpiece. So I'm not concerned about any use other than recreational diving. Would this mask do the trick?

Thanks again!

No it will not, a standard mouthpiece is used on the regulator after it goes through the mask.

Forget about that mask and try out some different mouthpieces.

I'd recommend the Divator or the Guardian full face masks. I owned a Divator, and loved it. There's a guy on here, John Hott, who can get you more information. He goes by the Scubaboard username mntdiver.

He helped me get set up when I bought mine.

Thanks for the info on the Divator and Guardian - I'll definitely check those out.

One thing I don't understand, though, is that the description of the IST (Seavenger?) mask seems to imply that you don't need a mouthpiece:

"For commercial and personal use! Simply remove your regulator mouthpiece and place into the mask. No Jaw Fatigue, because you don't need to bit onto the mouthpiece. Key Features The convenience of demand air, with the comfort of not having to bite the mouthpiece Eliminates jaw fatigue and/or denture slippage."

Seems like one wouldn't need to have anything in one's mouth to use it?

Thanks for the info on the Divator and Guardian - I'll definitely check those out.

One thing I don't understand, though, is that the description of the IST (Seavenger?) mask seems to imply that you don't need a mouthpiece:

"For commercial and personal use! Simply remove your regulator mouthpiece and place into the mask. No Jaw Fatigue, because you don't need to bit onto the mouthpiece. Key Features The convenience of demand air, with the comfort of not having to bite the mouthpiece Eliminates jaw fatigue and/or denture slippage."

Seems like one wouldn't need to have anything in one's mouth to use it?

There's basically a hole where you insert your regulator's existing mouthpiece. You then zip-tie the mask to your regulator's mouthpiece.

So, while it is a full-face mask, you still use the mouthpiece, but you don't have to bite it as hard to hold it in place.

They tend to fog easily, unlike professional full-face masks which direct airflow across the lens during inhalation.

All that said, the US Navy approves the Cressi-Sub mask (the IST looks a lot like it). Here's a link to a PDF... search for "Cressi": http://www.supsalv.org/pdf/ANU.pdf

I am a professional scuba diver that specializes in in-water boat hull scrubbing. I have been plagued with getting the remnants of my cleaning job on my face and to say that it is annoying is a mild understatement. I have long wanted a full face mask to help keep the junk out of my face and to ease my jaw fatigue that results from hours spent in the water with a regulator and snorkel everyday. I have eyed other manufacturers models but my pockets don't run that deep. My divemaster instructor is an IST distributor and suggested that I give this model a try. The price seems right and the design seemed adequate so I ordered one. Well I received the mask and set it up with my regulator and I could not wait to try it out. Also, I prepped the glass properly and applied anti-fog chemicals. Today was my first day with the mask and to say that I was disappointed in an understatement!! The field of vision is horrible. As a professional diver I need a large field of vision that this mask does not even come close to providing. There was a huge issue with fogging that I could not seem to overcome. The overall size of the mask does not fit well and despite experimenting with the straps I could not keep water from seeping in. The mask felt like it was going to pop off at any time causing a great deal of anxiety. I am very unhappy and disappointed with my purchase and will not recommend it to anyone that I know...

Back
Top Bottom