Issues with Ultralight Control Systems Tray Handles (AC-H)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Does anyone have a problem with ULCS' tray handles (AC-H)? I received two with the tray I ordered with one handle breaking apart (ball and base separating from the middle handle part) as I attached the arms with the strobe to the handle. The second handle started by the middle part spinning around the base part of it and eventually coming off its base.

The handle is made up of three parts, the top with the ball, the middle where the diver holds it and the base that attaches to the tray. The top and bottom parts are actually attached to the middle part with a glue that is supposed to be strong enough to prevent any separation of the parts in all types of use (not abuse) of the system. When I spoke to Terry at ULCS he told me that they have "had a bad batch of glue" but they aren't sure who got these handles.

Here are sample pictures of the broken handle:

M0013882.jpgM0013883.jpgM0013884.jpgM0013885.jpgM0013886.jpgM0013887.jpgM0013888.jpg

You can repair this yourself with some 2-part marine epoxy if you want or send it back (but that might take a long time). I am quite sure they will be happy to fix it for you; they are great guys.
Bill

I am sure that everything is "fixable" but that is not the point here. Are they going to fix the strobe if it it fell on the floor and broke or, worse, went down to the bottom of the ocean because of their lack of quality control and/or bad design to begin with?

That I suspect they won't do, they will I am sure replace the handles. Same with housing manufacturers. If your camera floods due to some mechanical or even design issue they will replace the housing but not the camera. That is what insurance is for. What did Terry suggest?
Bill

Frankly, I didn't put this thread up to discuss the interaction with ULCS since it isn't over yet and I am waiting for the conclusion before I comment on it. As I have started, I wanted to know if there are other people with the same problem and to let others who have bought this system to know about the manufacturing problem for them to take action.

I am trying as best as I can not to issue an opinion or discuss the interaction with ULCS before it is over.

I have used their handles for several years with no issues, but I haven't bought a handle from them in a while. Hopefully they can track who got the defective ones. Just FYI, I am pretty sure Terry is a girl.
Bill

I am pretty sure Terry is a girl.
Bill

No idea, communications has been through email only so far. I am half way across the world from them.

Back
Top Bottom