Issue with locline mount on Sola 1200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interceptor121

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
The locline adapter has snapped whilst I was setting up the rig on land to take some pictures of it

Having looked at it the design is poor and lends itself to issues, what happened is that the cut locline segment snaps around when the head is turned around

I am going to replace this with a set of bolts and washers but I am surprised of such poor design for an otherwise amazing piece of kit

Update from Light & Motion

Thanks for your comments - about a month ago we identified the cause of this issue and made a small modification to the locline mount that makes it much less prone to breaking it this way.

If you can send me your mailing address, I'll put a couple of the revised locline pieces in the mail for you.

Hello Interceptor121,
Thanks for your comments - about a month ago we identified the cause of this issue and made a small modification to the locline mount that makes it much less prone to breaking it this way.

We've also received your note to our in-house email support, and will respond there with some additional support for you.

The locline adapter I just received looks exactly the same as those originally with my two lights that fell apart
I think the idea of cutting across a locline 1/2" is not good as when you twist the head the pressure goes on the lip cracking the adapter
I believe that this is less apparent if you use 1/2" arm segments but I use 3/4" locline for robustness and I think that the rigidity of the arm cracks the adapter
I have ordered some 1/2 segments to see if the situation changes but am not particularly happy to mount smaller section arm as this may create other problems

Old thread but I modified the lousy crack-prone design. Why is the locline cut so short?

I cut some locline but much less than the Sola one. Cutting the groove on the table saw at my shop took some work as the 3/8" dido blade was winder than the guard so I had to cut 1/4" at a time but made it work eventually, thankfully the bearing shop down the road sells locline. Also had some brass screws with the machine thread. Cut the screw to the right length and volia! A much more robust setup. Good luck with the brass screws, not sure why we have them but we must have needed them at some point.

Oh and I broke the original just as my wife tells me not to break it, be gentle....Crack! super.

After i had lost my Sola 1200 on deep dive (-50m) and catched my sola by pure luck (there was like 70 meters to go to the bottom) and seen that the security was useless since its just clipped in the locline, i've done a small modification to my Sola… The locline is glued, dont mind having it glued to the mount ball system, and i've put a colson around latex band on the lamp itself… Tried to rip it apart underwater it doesnt move…

sola_secured.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom