Israel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Muzzman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello chaps, after our year tour through Asia and Australia we're gagging to get away and do some more diving. Problem is due to work we can't get away until November. We quite fancy Israel.

I've had a look on this forum and sussed that up North is going to be mild and down south might get a bit of warmth. The med is hit and miss so wait to Eilat to dive.

My question isn't really dive related, it seems that we'll fly into Tel Aviv from London Luton, we'll have two weeks, we need 5 days in Eilat, my missus wants to do her AOW, what other places should we visit, it's quite a short amount of time. How easy is it to travel round Israel, can you get quick internal flights between everywhere?

I suppose another consideration is the safety aspect of the country, is it safe to travel around. We'd be looking at just turning up and finding accommodation ad hoc. Is this do-able

have a look at the north Egyptian red sea

its close and the diving is much better than around eilat

Eilat is very very busy with divers. As this is the only easy place for Israelis to dive the Red Sea, easily. The corals are pretty tired from endless dive courses and guided diving. Eilat is overpriced to the extreme, it has a cheesy Las Vegas feel with prices to match. Definitely do not try and order a Cheeseburger like my girlfriend did, very nasty looks from the waiting staff :D. Israel has a few diving regulations that will affect what you do. Only DAN and the National dive Insurance is accepted so you will have to have one or the other, but the latter can be purchased at dive centres. Divers with less than 30 (or 50?) dives cannot dive unaccompanied, which for shore diving seems a bit like overkill.
I would look at crossing the border into Taba and look at the dive centres in Taba Heights for the AOW and your 5 day sojourn.

Oh, Israeli Red Wine is fantastic!

Taba starts at the border, it's easy enough to haggle for a taxi, or get the dive centre/ hotel to pick you up. I wouldn't bother taking a car, I presume you can cross with a car.

November isn't high season, so Eilat will not be that crowded. It is true that Egypt is less crowded in general, as fewer tourists choose it, especially during unstable times.

It is quite safe to drive around Israel. There are flights from Ben Gurion to Eilat, but I enjoy the 4 hour drive from Jerusalem to Eilat. You pass the Dead Sea and some interesting desert terrain. If you are touring the country anyhow, you could stop overnight at the Dead Sea, which is about half way. and besides the sea itself, has Masada and Qumran (the caves where the Dead Sea Scrolls came from).

As to Stewart's comment on the food, if you are feeling like a cheeseburger, or bacon or shrimp, go to one of the many non-kosher restaurants. Eilat is not a particularly religious area.

If you only have 2 weeks to see Israel, it would be a shame to cut it down to one week. It is a truly amazing place.

Linda

Another option is Aqaba, I think Sleazyjet have direct flights there or at least were planning to.

Taba starts at the border, it's easy enough to haggle for a taxi, or get the dive centre/ hotel to pick you up. I wouldn't bother taking a car, I presume you can cross with a car.

If you want to take a rental out of the country, check first with the rental company. As it increases risk to the car, some will prohibit it, or have different rules.

I've had good experience with Meduza Dive and AquaSport in Eilat. My favorite place to stay was Prima Music.

For something completely different, try a dive in the archaeological park in Caesarea (the Med).

Back
Top Bottom