ISO settings for 2G vs 1G

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CDNScubaMoose

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am in the midst of upgrading from the 1G to 2G and I was just wondering if anyone has any experience on how the ISO settings on the 2 camera's compare.

I normally have the ISO set as low as possible on the 1G which works great on tropical diving but when I am diving wrecks in the Great Lakes the low ISO settings are too dark, but as soon as I start to increase the ISO, things start to get grainy. Just wondering if I can expect this problem to resolve itself - or if anyone knows of any settings/tricks that I can use to reduce the graininess with the higher ISO in darker conditions.

I believe you will find the 2g is worse than the 1g at high Iso settings. If you google the Ricoh forums you should be able to find comparisons between the gx100 and the gx200.

But I am a little confused about your concern - why the need for hig ISO? are you using strobes?

P.s. seems a little late to be upgrading to the 2g - it's not very new....

The 2G is a pretty good camera, but don't even think about pushing the ISO past 200. I wanted to shoot some manual exposure stuff in Truk Lagoon down deep (160+ ft) without strobes where it was pretty dark and I pushed mine to 400. Very noisy pics. I think I can salvage them in Photoshop, though. The one thing I really love about the 2G is being able to manually white balance videos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom