Isn't This The Kind Of Thing You Only See In Movies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Diver tells of attack by giant conger eel

Mr Telfer shows the bite marks on his hand.

By Graeme Strachan

SCUBA DIVER George Telfer was recovering last night after being attacked by a giant conger eel while exploring a first world war trawler wreck off St Andrews.

Mr Telfer, a diving officer of Tayside Scottish Sub Aqua Club (TAYSAC), was bitten by the eel as he searched the sunken ship and was left with bruises to his face and bite marks on his hands.

A scuba diver of 17 years experience, Mr Telfer was eight miles out in St Andrews Bay when the incident happened.

Conger eels weigh up to 250lb and have extremely sharp teeth and strong jaws.

Speaking of his ordeal, Mr Telfer, from Carnoustie, said “I travelled down the shot line to the wreck to survey it.

“I spotted a lobster and went to grab it when, from the side, I got bitten on the hand.

“I knew it wasn’t the lobster.

“It was a conger eel, as big as two metres long.

“I tried to pull my hand off but it withdrew back into the ship, pulling me with it and I battered my face off the side of the ship. It was sheer muscle. They can drag a diver off no bother.

“I managed to grab it with my other hand, squeezed it, and it let go.

“I’m a bit bruised and battered but I’m okay.”

Mr Telfer said he didn’t fear for his safety at any point due to his love of the creatures and diving experience.

“I used to play with conger eels on the west coast and cuddle them—they are my friends but this one was less than friendly.

“But it might have been protecting its young so I don’t want people thinking they are nasty creatures.

“It was probably doing what any mother would do.”

Mr Telfer had been searching the wreck of the first world war trawler with a friend and had been inside the vessel for 15 minutes or so when it happened.

Conger eels are common in coastal waters around Scotland.

When they are ready to breed, the eels stop eating, lose their teeth and begin a long migration south to an area in the Atlantic between the Azores and Gibraltar.

The eels are known to congregate in deep water, where they spawn before dying.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2004/07/15/newsstory6121177t0.asp

Marc

FLL Diver:
Diver tells of attack by giant conger eel

Mr Telfer shows the bite marks on his hand.

By Graeme Strachan

SCUBA DIVER George Telfer was recovering last night after being attacked by a giant conger eel while exploring a first world war trawler wreck off St Andrews.

Mr Telfer, a diving officer of Tayside Scottish Sub Aqua Club (TAYSAC), was bitten by the eel as he searched the sunken ship and was left with bruises to his face and bite marks on his hands.

A scuba diver of 17 years experience, Mr Telfer was eight miles out in St Andrews Bay when the incident happened.

Conger eels weigh up to 250lb and have extremely sharp teeth and strong jaws.

Speaking of his ordeal, Mr Telfer, from Carnoustie, said “I travelled down the shot line to the wreck to survey it.

“I spotted a lobster and went to grab it when, from the side, I got bitten on the hand.

“I knew it wasn’t the lobster.

“It was a conger eel, as big as two metres long.

“I tried to pull my hand off but it withdrew back into the ship, pulling me with it and I battered my face off the side of the ship. It was sheer muscle. They can drag a diver off no bother.

“I managed to grab it with my other hand, squeezed it, and it let go.

“I’m a bit bruised and battered but I’m okay.”

Mr Telfer said he didn’t fear for his safety at any point due to his love of the creatures and diving experience.

“I used to play with conger eels on the west coast and cuddle them—they are my friends but this one was less than friendly.

“But it might have been protecting its young so I don’t want people thinking they are nasty creatures.

“It was probably doing what any mother would do.”

Mr Telfer had been searching the wreck of the first world war trawler with a friend and had been inside the vessel for 15 minutes or so when it happened.

Conger eels are common in coastal waters around Scotland.

When they are ready to breed, the eels stop eating, lose their teeth and begin a long migration south to an area in the Atlantic between the Azores and Gibraltar.

The eels are known to congregate in deep water, where they spawn before dying.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2004/07/15/newsstory6121177t0.asp

Marc

do get big VERY BIG I dived with a bunch in the late 70s for a years worth of weekends to film them. If we ever get over to your side and meet up I will bring the video with me.
The record catch on rod and reel 133lbs

Back
Top Bottom