Islamorada Vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dnaber

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Wife and I have decided to give each other a vacation destination of our choice this coming year as a Christmas gift. I want to spend mine down in Islamorada, but not sure when the best time of year for a diving vacation. Any thoughts on what month I should plan for? Thanks

Islamorada, .....what month I should plan for?
Islamorada >> Last week of June. Rain will have let up which means good top to bottom viz. Light winds have usually settled into the slow summer pace meaning calm conditions and rarely blown out missing dive days. Currents are usually mild enough to do the good wrecks like Duane & Bib. Hotel rates are not as bad as over holiday weekends and traffic is manageable if you are jumping to other Keys for dinners, etc.

IMG_6676.JPG

I've had good luck with June the last two years, no missed dives. Went with conch republic both times (Johnoly's picture above) and liked the operation.

Right now trying to decide if I'm going to repeat CRD in June again or try WPB this year.

Spent a lot of Augusts in the Keys. 90% chance of no bad weather but occasionally we had a hurricane scare.
Lobster are open after the first week.
Had some years we'd get 28 diveable days.
Food is definitely better at the two ends of the Keys as well.

We have great time when we dive the month of June and July with Key Dives at Islamorada

We're thinking about a March trip to Islamorada but I have no idea what sort of water conditions to expect. I don't like what we've gotten in the winter months - chop and surge. I expect that water to still be chilly, but what about visibility, waves and wind? Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom