Isla Mujeres/Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cudabait

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Am flying into Cancun from Houston next Sunday arriving about 6:30PM. We plan to get to the ferry from the airport, go to Isla, get a small hotel that night and begin diving the next day. We're considering Sea Hawk Divers or Coral Dive Center. Sea Hawk Divers say they have rooms. Some of the small hotels being considered are the Osorio, Marcianito and the Francis Arlene.

We've done the Maya Riviera and Coz but never Isla. Any and all info/suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

Regards,

Cudabait:
Am flying into Cancun from Houston next Sunday arriving about 6:30PM. We plan to get to the ferry from the airport, go to Isla, get a small hotel that night and begin diving the next day. We're considering Sea Hawk Divers or Coral Dive Center. Sea Hawk Divers say they have rooms. Some of the small hotels being considered are the Osorio, Marcianito and the Francis Arlene.

We've done the Maya Riviera and Coz but never Isla. Any and all info/suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

Regards,

Watch your times. I was looking at a ferry sched and it looks like there's no ferry between 8:30 and 11:30 pm. That's the ferry from Pto Juarez. There's also the car ferry from Punta Sam. I thought there was another from somewhere near Punta Cancun but I could very well be wrong about that. It's a very short ride across.

JF

We spent a month on Isla in 2001 and dove with both Sea Hawk and Coral. We only dove once with Sea Hawk becaue it was so awful (at that time, who knows now). The guy running it seemed so inconvenienced by the divers, that it was amazing he selected this line of work--he seemed annoyed by questions, did not explain procedures, e.g., where the boat was. He quoted a price for two tanks but after the first one, he started heading back to the shop--when we asked about the second tank he indicated that that was an unusual practice, that most people just dive one and we'd be going back now. We figured it was just as well because he was so sour. As I recall the rooms were above the shop, maybe three blocks from the beach. By contrast Coral was a very positive experience. They usually have a couple of boats going out each day, with 8-12 people in each, and the divemasters are generally enthusiastic and did a great job. They give you a warm welcome and a clear idea of what is going on. We probably did 25 dives with them. I don't know about hotels, we rented an apartment a bit out of town--it was actually quite cheap, but required a taxi to town. Good for a month stay but maybe not so for a short vacation. If you are interested I can dig up the email of the guy who owns it. Have a great time--and on Sun night go eat the cheapest and most delicious meal ever--local families chef up on the main square and sell their goodies.

Hi. There is a lot of diving to be had around Isla Mujeres. We have never used Sea Hawk so we do not want to comment on them one way or another. We can however recommend Coral Scuba Dive Center. They go the extra mile to make you feel at ease, they are very professional and safety conscious. They do not rush you and want to make sure that you don't do anything that will get you hurt. They also cater to where YOU want to dive, not where they are diving take it or leave it. Their prices are very reasonable. They do not run cattel boats. I give them a thumbs up. Good luck and enjoy the trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom