Isla Mujeres extra long dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Dive Alert, a whistle, an SMB and reel on every dive. I've been on my share of Cozumel drift dives. I keep track of my buddy, our position in the group and the location of the DM. I also pay attention to the boat. Generally you can hear them shift in and out of gear as they move to stay close to the bubble streams.

This seems like the boat operator fell asleep at the wheel and probably even lost his own DM.

Wow, I can't believe we haven't heard more about this. Glad to hear that all's well that ends well and very impressed with the response and how the divers managed to stay together that long.

Dove Isla last November , never again. It appeared to me diving operations on Isla have a whole bunch of catching up to do in order to be current with expectations of today’s standards. Unorganized , told the marine park has a 35 minute max time ( WTF) , most dives were shallow and surfaced with almost 2000 psi , DM lost under water.... countless BS. Maybe we chose the wrong operation.

“Isla Mujeres, Q.R. — After almost five hours of lost contact, eight divers were found after being reported missing while diving in a reef area near Isla Mujeres.

The call for help came around 11:00 a.m. to the regional port captain when the boat, Pelagic, lost contact with its divers. Authorities alerted local boats to keep their eyes open for the group of divers. Several vessels including Caribbean Star Gavilán, Duve de Nef, Enki II, Alma Luisa and Kukulcán left Cancun in search of them.

The Mexican navy had two helicopters and a small plane, as well as several boats combing the area, however, several hours after the alert, the boat Alias Geron located the divers around 4:00 p.m. They were transferred in apparent good health to Isla Mujeres for a medical evaluation by paramedics from the Fifth Military Naval Region.”

It sounds like the boat has marine radio and Mexican Navy was involved. I carry Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS (MRG) & PLB to help them finding me sooner, if I were to be lost at sea.

These safety signaling devices are in my 2 BCD pockets:
Nautilus MRG & PLB1 in left pocket
DSMB in my right pocket

976DDD58-5A61-467D-83A0-ED171174C89C.jpeg
70A60700-BEA9-4210-891C-181F7E5FD9FF.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom