Ishigaki Photos and *brief* trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marpacifica

Contributor
Reaction score
Once upon a time in Micronesia, but now bubbling i
# of dives
500 - 999
Been back two weeks and have finally been able to get around to posting some photos and a brief trip report on Ishigaki Island.

Stayed at the Seamen's Club Resort & Hotel, dove four days, 2-3 dives/day. It rained almost every day and the conditions were quite rough, especially around Manta Scramble, which is about one km offshore. Seamen's has 3 large boats that can handle up to 20 divers, and about 2 skiffs that they use to ferry divers to the big boats or to take a small group of divers to nearby divesites. The large boats have a metal platform at the back of the boat that you're supposed to kneel on while getting out of the water, so almost everyone got their shins bruised whenever the waves rocked the boat. Some divers got seasick, but suffered silently, poor them.

I'm afraid I don't remember the names of the divesites other than Indian Pinnacle and Manta Scramble, because I don't speak Japanese. I was able to get by because my dive partner speaks fluent Japanese, having lived there for two years.

Saw mantas 3 out of 4 dives at Manta Scramble. Dives there usually are in the afternoon. You hang out (most people just grab onto some coral heads, yuck), but I tried to hover just above them using bouyancy control -- actually got some of the Japanese divers to start doing that too, I think by example because I certainly didn't talk to them about it.

One dive I really liked was in the southern part of the Bay where Seamen's is located. Saw my first cuttlefish (actually, I DIDN'T see it, but someone had to point it out right in front of my face because it was so well camouflaged), and enjoyed the nice hard corals. Corals are in excellent shape, but no soft corals. Saw lots of clownfish (false clown anemonefish, pink anemonefish, tomato anemonefish, Clark's anemonefish). No shark sightings. A few parrotfish, some swimthroughs. Water temp was chilly (to me), around 21-23 C, so I wore a new 5 mm with a diveskin underneath. Managed to stay warm but that initial coldwater seepage into the suit is always a wake-me-up.

Look for some of these photos and an article in an upcoming issue of Asian Diver. I also have some clownfish photos that are going to be published in the magazine in the next few months (check out my post in the Photography forum if you'd like to see some of the photos).

Cheers, and happy diving!

Thanks, Jagfish. Yeah, I was pretty impressed with the vis and how good the reefs looked, despite the absences of fixed mooring lines -- they just dumped an anchor overboard. That may change if the place gets more traffic as is anticipated with the lengthening of the airport's runway to take on international flights.

marpacifica:
Thanks, Jagfish. Yeah, I was pretty impressed with the vis and how good the reefs looked, despite the absences of fixed mooring lines -- they just dumped an anchor overboard. That may change if the place gets more traffic as is anticipated with the lengthening of the airport's runway to take on international flights.

hi marpacifica,

i'm glad to know that your diving experience in ishigaki was rewarding, although the weather was not nice.

i have also been concerned about their use of anchors. a few years ago i talked to the chairperson of YAEYAMA diving society, which consisted of professional diving shop owners and guides working in and around ishigaki island, and tried to persuade him so that he would prohibit the members from dropping anchors overboard. but NO USE :-<

by the way, did you have a chance to see the president of the seaman's? he's a legendary figure!

ken chung ar

Ken,

No, I didn't meet the Seamen's president. What's his story? Now I'm curious.

Too bad that the diving society didn't think the anchor hits on the reef are a problem. Another thing that concerned me was that the DMs distributed cotton gardening gloves to divers who didn't bring gloves -- so the divers could hang on to the coral without hurting their hands.

I've attached a photo of some anchor lines tearing up the corals at Manta Scramble.

Marlo

Several boats go to that dive site daily. Why don't they get together and put out a proper buoy? I will suggest that to a dive shop I know down there...

Cool pictures. I have not yet found a manta that is willing to pose for me yet :( Did you use the 12-24mm, sigma 15mm or Nikon 16mm? Did not look like the 10.5mm from what I can tell?

TJO:
Several boats go to that dive site daily. Why don't they get together and put out a proper buoy? I will suggest that to a dive shop I know down there...

TJO -- Yes, please do that. The more people they hear it from, the better. Maybe you can mention not hanging on to coral with gloved hands, too. I counted 7-8 boats each time I was there, and if that's happening daily then over the years the corals will just be stumps.

ssra-- I used a 12-24 on these shots. I was stuck at 12 mm b/c one of my internal rubber gripper "doo-dahs" fell out someplace so the zoom ring wasn't lining up with the zoom gear. I was surprised that the mantas stayed for as long as they did. They usually did a few circles, stopped for a cleaning, but bolted if any divers approached them. If you were already in position as they flew over you, that was OK b/c it was on their terms. I saw a baby manta in Kona and one huge one at Peleliu in Palau, but both were gone in an instant, so I know how you feel about getting one to pose for you. I guess you'll just have to check out Ishigaki for your first manta poses, right?

marpacifica:
I guess you'll just have to check out Ishigaki for your first manta poses, right?

We shall see, at the moment I am still very sulky toward going for manta shots.
Last year I went to Sangalaki, the manta capital of SE Asia. Everyone I talked to usually said that the only issue is how many mantas would you see in one dive, 5,10, 20s or lots. Guess what, I went there and never saw a single manta :( A friend went a few weeks afterward and said that she saw tons of mantas both during diving and snorkeling at the same site that I went, go figure!

Hi all,

I just got my issue of Dec./Jan. Asian Diver and my article and photographs made their way in. I'm not sure if the magazine is widely available in Japan, but if you do run across it, the magazine staff got the map of Ishigaki all wrong, placing it at the southern tip of Kyushu and misidentifying Oriomote Island as "Okinawa"!

At least all of you on this forum will know the difference.

Regards,

Marlo Sarmiento

Back
Top Bottom