Ishigaki or Kerama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RikRaeder

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've read a few threads on these two locales although there weren't too many. They're all a couple years old, so I thought I'd ask for fresh information. My gf's birthday is coming up, and we want to get in a couple of days' diving in mid-June (I know it's rainy season, but we'll take our chances). It seems that Ishigaki offers a bit more variety so I was leaning towards there. I was hoping for any fresh input on these two locales, and also any leads to dive shops that won't stick us on a boat with 100 other divers or pull the plug on our dive after 20 minutes. We're just looking for some interesting recreational diving, good bottom time, and no long boat rides (we can stay on the island). Please offer any recommendations or advice. Thanks.

PS-Japanese language is not a problem.

What do you want to see?

Short opinion, Ishigaki is better for big animals (mantas) but Keramas are better for macro.

I am partial to the Keramas as I dive them 4-5 times a week. We are based on the main island of Okinawa and run both small and large boats to the Keramas and other local spots on a regular basis. (dive times usually about 50min - 1hr per dive) The Keramas has great macro and coral variety- we even have mantas and turtles if you know where to go. Ishigaki is more predictable and easier to find mantas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom