Ishigaki & Iriomote diving & snorkeling in Nov & Dec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akiko

New
Reaction score
Is the weather & diving/snorkeling good in Iriomote and Ishigaki in Nov & Dec ?

If yes, can you recommend a good place to stay and snorkel that is not too expensive ?

Hi Akiko
Sorry no one has anwered your post. I personally don't know the areas you are speaking about. If you are specifically interested in snorkeling, I think that Futo is a good site. Relatively shallow and just packed with life. That is on the Izu peninsula near Ito, which is about an hour south of Atami. I also like the Manazuru area for snorkeling, again lots of life close to shore, though the vis is generally not as good as Futo. Manazuru is just north of Atami.

Anyway, welcome to the board.

Jagfish - dem sites she's querying are in Okinawa!

Sorry Akiko - not an expert either as I've never made it down that way. Where are our Okinawan friends?! Damsel in distress and all that!!

Jonathan:
Jagfish - dem sites she's querying are in Okinawa!

Sorry Akiko - not an expert either as I've never made it down that way. Where are our Okinawan friends?! Damsel in distress and all that!!

How embarrassing...:11:

Wonder if I should go back and doctor my post... :wink:

First of all, do you require English speaking dive operations?

For Japanese, I recommend Dive Lateeq in Iriomote, I went down there in the summer to check them out.

There is a larger operation, Unarizaki , that has shops in both Ishigaki and Iriomote.

They both can assist with low priced accomodations.

Contact me offline for more information.

Just wanted to drop a note, I will be going to Ishigaki during the Thanksgiving weekend. Three boat dives and some free time before I return to Okinawa.

I have never been there before, but that has never stopped me before visiting a new place. The next post I should have some info and pics to share.

P.S. I do not speak Japanese, so cross your fingers for an interesting time.

On-down

On Ishigaki there is also a Club Med that has an english-speaking dive service. Sea Friends on Ishigaki is very good but no english ability. For Iriomote go with Mar Scuba's reccomendations.

The dive outfit I will be using is called Tom Sawyers Diving, the hotel is the Hyper Hotel in Ishigaki(business hotel). After doing some research it seems like all is in agreement that they will short fill the tanks to about 2200-2500.

It should be an experience. I hope I have some good feedback for Akiko after I return on the 28th.

Have had bad luck with Tom Sawyer in the past with them not wanting to make the trip to the Manta Scramble and actually having to get off the boat and go with another company to get the dives we had booked. Haven't used them since so maybe better by now- also definately short fills and shorter dives if you follow the guide.

Back
Top Bottom