Is your full-foot fin size the same as your bootie size?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrSam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I asked a question prior to this one in which I was interested in a pair of full foot fins. I took the advice of some of the members, but none of the fins/suggestions mentioned worked out to my liking. I tried the Tusa FF19's and they were amazing. Problem is, they were too tight. I also have no way of trying them on before I order online.

Do you guys/gals who use full foots usually size them based on your boot size? I wear a size 9 bootie (any larger would be possible, any smaller would kill my toes). I'm deciding between the medium-large (8.5-9) and large (9.5-10.5)
Which would be a better choice? My shoe size is actually a 9.5-10

Thank you!

I don't scuba-dive, but I have snorkelled for fifty years in the sea near where I live in North East England, using full-foot fins exclusively for that purpose because they are so comfortable either over booties or bare feet. Fit is very important when selecting full-foot fins and sometimes the sizing information embossed on such fins doesn't match the potential purchaser's actual shoe size. When you order a pair of full-foots online you take a leap of faith that they will fit and it pays to order from retailers who will accept returns in cases when foot pockets turn out to be the wrong fit. If that wasn't enough to be thinking about, feet are three-dimensional entities and you'll have to factor in the width and the arch height of your feet if you want a perfect snug fit, neither too loose nor too tight.

I have to say that as a long-time full-foot fin user I've never gone by my bootie size when buying fins. I've always purchased a pair matching my normal shoe size or one size bigger if I'm going to wear them over socks or booties. If you're in doubt about the capacity of your intended fin foot pockets, go up a size and you can always bulk out your foot pockets with neoprene socks of an appropriate thickness or use fin grips, three-way straps that fit over the ankle, heel and instep:
attachment.php

They are designed to keep slightly oversized fins secure on your feet. There is little you can do with fins whose foot pockets are too small. Fins don't stretch! If you opt for your large (9.5-10.5) fins and they prove to be a little on the large size, consider one of these two suggestions.

Thanks David. I decided to go with the medium-large (before reading this). Fortunately the company allows free exchanges so based on what you said I may have to send them back.
I have seen those fin grips recommended in other threads, so I may have to go with those and with larger fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom