Is this too much..dive trip Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

juggernutt

Reaction score
Hi,

Hopefully expereinced divers in Bali can tell me if this is a good idea or that it's just to much of a good thing and too tiring.

I want to get my AOWC in Bali. That's 5 dives.Add 2 extra dives.
Instead of just staying in one place. I wanted to visit the top 3 spots with my dives.
Maybe starting of in Menjangan.(2 dives) Stay there 1 night. Than go to Tulamban.Stay there 1 night.(2 dives, night and wreck dive)
Than go to Nusa(2 dives...drift) and end up in Kuta/Sanur for the 3rd night.

Is this to many dives? To tiring? I don't know how many hours the trips are. but I believe:
Kuta-Menjangan(4 hours) Menjangan-Tulamban(4 hours) Tulamban-Nusa/Kuta(3 hours)

As far as I am concerned that's ok. I would do the same. I was diving in Indonesia couple of yeras ago but not in Bali. Up in the nort, in North Sulawesi, Bunaken National Park. There were excelent dives.
I am sure you'll be happy with you Bali experience overall.

The number of dives are ok. Recently I did 16 dives in 4.5 days.
Generally I find 3 dives a day about the right amount and may be 4 dives a day for a live a board. I did 5 dives in one day once but that was a bit too much.

I'm not that familiar with Indonesia, but that seems like you are jumping location every night. Seems a little hectic, is your instructor travelling with you between locations? If not I'm curious if the different locations will all agree to split the class/certification costs.

Personally, just me a a dive freak, would go to one or two places and do 4-5 dives at each. There is so much to see, why spend dive time on the road. Yes, you will be tired, but I can not imagine you won't be as tired travelling a couple of hours after diving.

dave

Only thing that strikes me is that you'll have to get up early each day, get on the road, drive 3/4 hours and start diving practically right away when you arrive. I guess it's doable depending on what time the dives are at, but would be way too rushed for me!

It'd be nice if you had a bit more time in each place to do a couple more dives and chill out a bit.

Sounds easy to do, but
I would consider doing it in reverse order - Kuta, Tulamben, then Menjengan.

First of all Kuta/Sanur is closest to the airport and since your lodging will probably be minutes from there it would allow you to rest and get situated if you have arrived after a long flight with jet lag.

Secondly, a problem of diving the best area first (Menjengan is the Best in my opinion) is that you tend to compare all following dive sites to the ones you have been at. While all dives are good, this could lead to some perceived dissappointment of Tulamben and especially Kuta/Sanur.

I had this feeling in Australia when I did the outer areas of Flinders Reef in the Coral Sea prior to diving the Great Barrier Reef, which is closer in.
Although all dives were nice, the lower visibiilty and lesser fish life were constantly compared to.

Hi

Was in Bali 3 times this year.

Your schedule looks hetic thou but still possible as a leisure diver.

I would suggest the reverse order.

Kuta-Menjangan(4 hours)
= stay over at Louvenia Beach.

Menjangan-Tulamban( hours)
= stay over at Paradise hotel (good food there)

Tulamban-Nusa/Kuta(3 hours)

By the last leg of travel, you will feel worn out from all the diving that you want to hit the warm showers ASAP.

Yes this sounds very hectic... Would suggest given your timeframe that you base yourself in Padangbai or Candidasa. From there you can dive Tulamben, tepekong/Mimpang and Nusa Penida; you'll get to new beautiful sites everyday, will feel more relaxed and will probably end up enjoying more !
Only drawback is that you skip Menjangan...

Oh yeah,

Just read the post again and there may be a conflict - it will be difficult to dive on a travel day. For example, Menjangen island trips leave at 8-9am from the town of Lovina and you must book them the day before. If you are travelling there it will be a rush if you are diving elsewhere that day (Tulamben, Nusa Dua, Penida, etc).

Then again, it could be done conceivably...

Your id doesn't say where you are from - will you be jetlagged upon arrival?

I did like Padang bai, but I also had a couple of weeks for my vacation and even that went fast.

Back
Top Bottom