Is this scratch in the lens or in the ARC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cadjak

Registered
Reaction score
I bought a couple of new masks from a private seller. One was perfect but the Atomic with ARC had some marks on the lenses. I want to know if these look like they are in the ARC or in the shipping coating that gets toothpasted off? I'd like to know before I start with the toothpaste. I'm leaving it untouched until I know a little more about the what the folks here think of these. It fits like a glove and the price was decent. Thanks,
cadjak

IMG_3602.jpg
[/IMG]

Not sure about the scratch, but the ARC's come with a warning label not to use toothpaste or any other abrasives on them.

Here is a quote from someone who bought the ARC version over on DeeperBlue
I just got off the phone with Atomic and they said they are changing all the labels on their ARC masks- it turns out you CAN use toothpaste and defog on them after all!

They just don't want you using anything really abrasive-

Also, darcyatomic, suggested toothpaste for the ARC masks on a thread on this forum.

No option for corrrection on the ARC other than the glue in's (which wouldn't be coated) at this time.
We do recommed using toothpaste or mask scrub to prep the mask, it won't hurt the lens. Just don't use Softscrub or anything abrasive, you know, don't scrub it on the coral
Cheers,
Darcy

darcyatomic is the inside sales support at Atomic Aquatics, I figured toothpaste was okay. But I still appreciate the heads up on this, since I am about as new as anyone can be with this gear.

Darcy knows all. Her advice is right on. You can not use something abrasive like soft scrub on a coated mask. The warning label specifically mentions not to use softscrub.

If you bought the mask from an authorized dealer I would recommend that you take it to them for an opinion. If you didn't buy it from an authorized dealer you might try the person you purchased it from.

How did the scratch get there? Was it something you used on the mask or was it already there?

How did the scratch get there? Was it something you used on the mask or was it already there?

The Scratch was on it when I got it new. I didn't try anything until after speaking with the Dealer. Turns out he is an authorized dealer. I used toothpaste only. It definitely is a scratch in the coating. Dealer said Atomic suggested toothpaste or car wax. I would never use car wax. Seems like I'd be making a second problem. The dealer is willing to refund my purchase price and said he would deal with Atomic on the mask. It may have been a case of, "if it seems too good to be true it probably is". It came with the Atomic plastic case and nothing else. So, my choice may be to start over, looking for a mask, or to live with this.

probably won't bother your acuity......but, I would take it back.........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom