Is this repairable or should I just dump it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeterDorr

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
1.png
I did a dive without properly checking the O-ring on my DS 161 :banghead:
Stupid me, only at 20 meters depth I noticed a non working flash.
So I went up but damage has been done already. All wet.
My question is, would this normally be repairable at all or should I just slap myself and write it off completely?

thnks
Peter

I did a dive without properly checking the O-ring on my DS 161 :banghead:
Stupid me, only at 20 meters depth I noticed a non working flash.
So I went up but damage has been done already. All wet.
My question is, would this normally be repairable at all or should I just slap myself and write it off completely?

thnks
Peter
Strobe maybe good . If you do not see any moisture at flash tube I would say get new battery and try it

On some of the newer ones the battery compartment is sealed off from the rest of the electronics. If that`s the case you just need a new battery.

The strobe unit is fully sealed and will be just fine. Just clean the contact pins with some contact cleaner and a toothbrush. The removable battery is independent and the cells will be destroyed and a mess. You can just buy a new battery and go about your business.

If you are really a DIY crafty type it's not too hard to remove the cells, clean up the casing, and build your own battery pack to restore it. There are threads on WetPixel with details about how to do this. I did it a few times when my DS-125 and DS-161 batteries faded over time. DIY will cost about $30 vs $200 for a new battery.

I don't want to be the pessimist here but how is everybody sure this is a failed o-ring on the battery? I've took apart a non-functioning 125 and I was amazed at how little protection it had from a leak at the mode switch. This particular strobe had sand etc in this seal and stuff and looked very worn out and it has only one seal there.
Is it likely that Peter's strobe is leaking here too?

I know this seems crazy, but why don't you message Ikelite? I've found them to be top-knotch in the customer service department.

Just NiXX cells in the pack?
Yep, NiMH. The pack uses 5 or 6 "sub-c" cells in series. Buy the type with the Tabs and don't get the larger capacity cells as the diameter is just a bit too big to fit. It's easy to solder the tabs and glue the cells in a ring formation. Very simple and low cost project. I used these strobes for about a dozen years and rebuilt a few packs along the way as the cells wore out.

Hi guys, just a short update.
I indeed cleaned the contacts and gave it another battery pack and guess what, it works flawless.
So I think the sealing on the lamp itself is robust.

as for the battery pack, I will consider changing it myself. Due to Covid-19 I have all the time of the world.
I need to have a close look on the exact type of cells when I have taken it apart.
Great walkthrough for replacing the cells

Grts and thanks for your help/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom