... is this really happening ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have been in restaurants in Alexandria Egypt where they prepare fresh seafood and have seen Green Turtles swimming in barrels. So I would not doubt it. Some people look at things a whole lot different than others, we look at it as a shame they look at it as survival.

BLUEPEACE blog » MALDIVES ALLOWS HARVESTING OF ENDANGERED TURTLES EGGS: Isn?t it the High Time Maldives Outlawed all Marine Turtle Egg Consumption.

Is this really that surprising???

Many countries around the world have laws in order to protects species or threatened environments that are not reinforced...

Some people look at things a whole lot different than others, we look at it as a shame they look at it as survival.
The Maldives are not a country where people are dying from hunger. There is food.
People might not be rich, but they have food, and eating turtles or turtle eggs is not about surviving, but about it being suppositely delicious.

I've heard people saying that since 20 years, there are less turtles. Trying to talk about keeping a living stock and how turtles reproduce, how long it takes and from what age it would be better to catch a turtle, that's another story that they don't believe.

A guy I know goes catching octopus using bleach or other products like that; find the octopus in his hole, put bleach, octopus goes out of his hole and get caught.
I've tried to ask him if he would eat something that was previously marinated in bleach. He said to me "no, of course not". I've tried to compare it with what he is doing with the octopus. He looked at me weird, laught then left.

I was giving swimming lessons to a girl I know (Maldivian) and she discovered with me that corals are alive and not just rocks you can stand on.

Education in schools about these subjects is not commun at all, despite the fact that this population relied, rely and will rely on the sea for food and jobs. Despite the fact that tourism is the main source of income of the country and that not preserving this fragile ecosystem is like shooting a bullet in his own foot etc etc...

Ki kurani, doh? ("what to do" in Dhivehi, a little bit like the local "Inch' Allah" that every Maldivian will say about a lot of things, very frustrating little sentence).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom