Is this normal??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snoweman

Untroubled Troll
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was looking at MarineTraffic.com to see where different cruise ships were located. Most were hanging out at ports. This one, Carnival's new flagship, is listed as "adrift". Is that because there are no decent anchorage places on the west coast?

Carnival Panorama.jpg

Fun day at sea! We've only been on one cruise, but when they said "fun day at sea" we felt like it was code for "no fun day". I guess we're not really cruisers.

We’re on a road to nowhere.....come on inside.....

The Alaskan inner passage was...is,...the only cruise we’ve ever took since I was 12....we did the Atlantic voyage twice when I was 9&12, those were the days of sea travel! 7 days to cross.

Fun day at sea! We've only been on one cruise, but when they said "fun day at sea" we felt like it was code for "no fun day". I guess we're not really cruisers.

I’ve only been on one cruise, but I decided I preferred the “At Sea” day over ports of call. Someday I’d like to do a transatlantic.

I was looking at MarineTraffic.com to see where different cruise ships were located. Most were hanging out at ports. This one, Carnival's new flagship, is listed as "adrift". Is that because there are no decent anchorage places on the west coast?

View attachment 666450
To answer your question directly, there are lots of captains that, for various reasons, do not like dropping the hook except on sand or hard bottom. one being covering their pretty white boat with smelly mud, others including being wary of being able to get the anchor back up. I had a captain who hadn't dropped anchor in 32 years, preferring to run a weather pattern at night if he wasn't planning to go anywhere.

The cruise ships off of FLL would drift in the gulf stream all night during the pandemic, from Miami area to north to West End or Walker's Cay, then steam back south during the day.

To answer your question directly, there are lots of captains that, for various reasons, do not like dropping the hook except on sand or hard bottom. one being covering their pretty white boat with smelly mud, others including being wary of being able to get the anchor back up. I had a captain who hadn't dropped anchor in 32 years, preferring to run a weather pattern at night if he wasn't planning to go anywhere.

The cruise ships off of FLL would drift in the gulf stream all night during the pandemic, from Miami area to north to West End or Walker's Cay, then steam back south during the day.

and for the cruise ships especially that are all electric drive with the Azipods don't really benefit much from anchoring. The generators are running 24/7 and they can position wherever they want which is pretty convenient

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom