Is this light salvageable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USCScubaboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I lent one of my Hollis 3W LED torches to another diver during a night dive. I then rinsed the outside right after but didn't think to check the inside. This was the result after about a week after I had removed the batteries, hosed out the inside, and let it dry. Can this light be salvaged and what would I need to do to save it?

IMAG0022.jpgIMAG0023.jpgIMAG0024.jpgIMAG0025.jpgIMAG0026.jpgIMAG0027.jpgIMAG0028.jpgIMAG0030.jpg

'Elephino.

I can tell you what the gov't did after Katrina.

Scrub everything with distilled water and a copper brush. Get rid of the the rust you can. Rinse with distilled water, except the batteries. Do they take a recharge, if they are rechargable? if so, they are okay, for now, but don't depend on it with your life.

Wrap the stuff in a towel, and shake it, to get rid of the excess water. Put it in a pan, and put it in a warm oven - not more than 150 if you can. Turn the oven off. Give it a good half hour.

Afterwords, put it together, being careful to silicone the o-rings and such. I like to lube the threads, too; some people say it breaks the connectivity.

If it works, make it a backup like until it proves itself reliable. If not, you have a good flashlight.

You would be amazed what has been salvaged from flooding.

I'm no expert but I cleaned some backup lights with vinegar and it works very well. Of course rinse well and dry before testing.

If it works, make it a backup like until it proves itself reliable. If not, you have a good flashlight.

Ouch. :(

Thanks for the tips. I'll post an update once I give it a good cleaning.

I know that you wouldn't believe how many things I have reclaimed using electrolytic rust removal. Hell, I can't believe it. This is cheap, easy and nondestructive. BTW, I get washing soda at the supermarket in the clothes-washing detergent aisle.

Stovebolt Tech Tip -- Antique Chevy / GMC Truck Restoration Help

DC

The LEDs are usually driven by electronic circuitry. Using harsh chemicals on things like capacitors might just mean the end of them. same if there is dedicated IC circuitry.

know that you wouldn't believe how many things I have reclaimed using electrolytic rust removal. Hell, I can't believe it. This is cheap, easy and nondestructive. BTW, I get washing soda at the supermarket in the clothes-washing detergent aisle.

Stovebolt Tech Tip -- Antique Chevy / GMC Truck Restoration Help

this is only so called ''passivation'' it stops electrolytic process in metals after cleaning . Passivation is for diferent metalls different , so you must light disassembly on parts by metalls and restore each part alone . It won't returns etched material back .

Battery holder is best to buy new one (because increased contact resistance)

''3AA to D adaptor'' like 3 AA zu D Cell Adapter, 4,69 € or Odd Mods Battery Adapters; Complete Listing; New designs and Clearance Sales! or AA to D Cell Battery Converter Adapter (Uses 3 AA) Up to 4.5v

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom