Is this a Sea Pearl?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heymo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I took this picture in the Bahamas last week and want to make sure I know what it is...I think it's a sea pearl...does anyone know for sure?

I've attached a close up...

Thanks!

Attachments

• Sea PearlB.jpg
    Sea PearlB.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 133
When I was diving in Jamaica I notice a lot of them. I had ask DM what is this and they told me that this is a trap bubble of air. I’m not positive 100% with his answer and I'm interested in other opinions as well.

I've seen some gaz bubbles come up from the bottom, figure it's from decomposing matter.
This would explain the trapped bubble looking like a pearl. Touching it would confirm.

YES it is a Sea Pearl, the common name for Bubble Alga! They can get huge, I have seen them as big as a fist! :D They are tough and rubbery and when the spore opens it looks like soap exploding!

when the spore opens it looks like soap exploding!

OK. So what does soap look like when it explodes? And how did you find out??? Are we going to have to involve homeland security in this?

Thanks! I took it in to work and showed it to the science staff, and none of them knew what it was!

And I'd also like to know just how you know what it looks like when it explodes!

The common name is Sea Pearl - The bubble is one of the largest single cells found in either the plant or animal kingdoms. The scientific name is Ventricaria ventricosa and it is a green algae. It can be up to 2 inches and grows alone or in bunches.

I was in BVI last month and saw a lot of those. The dive master said that if you touch them/break them, it can cause serious skin irritaion. I don't know if it is true, but it is something to consider.

They are very hard to break, they squish! When they mature and send out spores it looks like a washing machine with too much soap added! They boil with white spores that the current carries off! I saw one "Bloom" in a barrel sponge and it was a strange sight!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom