Is there some type of converter for this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIHappyDiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I live in the US and am traveling to Curaçao. I know I’m ok on voltage, as it is 127 V where we’re staying, and, as I understand it, most things we will be charging will be fine with 50Hz vs 60. HOWEVER, my wife wants to bring her blow dryer. Is there a converter that just changes Hz (I suck at electrical stuff), or do we just look at getting her a blow dryer when we get there?

Thanks!
Erik

Having a quiet morning I googled the problem😁 It seems most devices that convert frequency do it by having a rectifier to convert ac to dc then an inverter to convert dc to ac at the right frequency. A quick Amazon search showed a lot of transformers that were 50/60 hz compatible but the way I read the specs was that they did not change frequency only voltage, ie were happy with either 50 or 60 hz in but gave the same frequency out.

At around the $650 mark I found one with selectable output ftequency but it was also only 200-240 v out.

I am sure the device you want is available at a price and it probably will not be light, thinking about excesss baggage.

Most places I have stayed at hotels , Airbnb have supplied hair dryers, so check with your accomodation provider,or just bite the bullet and buy one on arrival.

I live in the US and am traveling to Curaçao. I know I’m ok on voltage, as it is 127 V where we’re staying, and, as I understand it, most things we will be charging will be fine with 50Hz vs 60. HOWEVER, my wife wants to bring her blow dryer. Is there a converter that just changes Hz (I suck at electrical stuff), or do we just look at getting her a blow dryer when we get there?

Thanks!
Erik
Hair dryers are a heating element and a simple fan. Neither is going to be bothered by 50 vs 60 Hz

Don't worry, be happy

What @JohnN said. There are very few if any domestic appliances that care about the frequency of supply. Motors are one though.

The heater element of her dryer won't care. The fan motor will run a little slower at 50Hz instead of 60Hz, but will work just fine otherwise.

Hair dryers are a heating element and a simple fan. Neither is going to be bothered by 50 vs 60 Hz

Don't worry, be happy
The fan motor may not be happy with the frequency change, it will turn slower at the very least.

The fan motor may not be happy with the frequency change, it will turn slower at the very least.
This is what I was questioning. Since her unit is rather expensive it might be best to buy one when we get there.

Thanks for the input everyone. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Isn't there a blow dryer in your accommodation?
Not sure. I’m still waiting to hear back from the owner. I wanted to have a backup plan in place, just in case. Of course, if she was a diver there would be no need for one, lol!

If you're renting a car get your wife a 12v hair dryer. You can still make use of it at home.

If you're renting a car get your wife a 12v hair dryer. You can still make use of it at home.
While I applaud you for thinking out of the box, you have not met my wife or, more to the point, the thick head of hair that she has:D. It would turn her drying her hair even most of the way into a 5 hour process. However, I wish I had one of these when I was in college and the inside of my windshield would freeze up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom