Is there Decent diving in New Zealand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Cartman

Registered
Reaction score
Does anybody knows if there's decent diving in New Zealand?
We're going to spend a couple months there and I'd love to do some diving though I heard there's almost dry-suit diving only over there?
Can anybody give some info?
Cheers !

Go dive the Poor Knight Islands! You'll love it.

I know I did... :)

I dove Poor Knights in February 1997 (end of their summer) in a 7 mm wet suit and I was fine. I also dive southern California in the summer in a 7 mm. Conditons are similar. The North Island is much warmer than the South Island. The weather and water conditons were excellent.

Im from NZ originally, there is plenty of great diving all over from the poor knights up top to stewart island down the bottom, it is chilly down south, i dived alot round the south island only using a 7mm and 5mm hooded vest. It is cold but worth it IMO lots of stuff you wont see anywhere else.
You dont need a drysuit, but i would say farmer john type 7mm would be minamum if youre heading south.

Eric Cartman:
Does anybody knows if there's decent diving in New Zealand?
Decent? Better than decent mate.
The best in the world (IMO)!
Where are you going to be staying? The great diving ranges from the Sub-Tropical Kermadec Islands in the north down to the Sub-Antarctic Auckland Islands in the south....and everything in between.
If you give me some idea of where in the country you will be I will fill you in on some great spots.
Cheers

as the others above have already said, there is plenty of great diving in New Zealand. If you let us know what sort of diving you are into and where you plan to travel, we will give you more specific advice on dive sites, and you'll probably find a number of us who are keen to show you the sites.

***************thread hijack****************
Azza, when did you move to Auckland? Have read your posts over time, and would be keen to go for a dive some time if you're keen
****************hijack over********************

Xman:
***************thread hijack****************
Azza, when did you move to Auckland? Have read your posts over time, and would be keen to go for a dive some time if you're keen
****************hijack over********************
PM sent. Had an awesome dive yesterday:D

Hey guys!

Thanks a lot for your messages.
We'll be probably based in Wellington and will definitly plan a trip to the Poor Knights! Everybody says it's amazing and I'm sure it's a must-do in NZ.
I was wondering though if there's any diving at all around Wellington area.
Also, my girlfriend is a biologist and she would love to have some experience working on an aquarium. I heard that there are a couple of very nice aquariums in NZ but couldn't find out exactly where they're located. Can anybody clarify? Is there some biology-related opportunity near Wellington ?
Cheers, guys!

Back
Top Bottom