Is there anywhere to dive in AZ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doll_fins

Reaction score
Is there anywhere to dive in Arizona or does everyone travel out of state to blow bubbles?

I'm in the Phoenix area quite a bit for work and have a weekend coming up that I need to fill! Anyone have any suggestions?

If you just have to dive in the Phoenix area you can dive in Lake Pleasant, visibility is about 8 feet and the water temperature is 52 degrees. Also you can dive in Saguaro Lake, don't know conditions. I did my check dives for my open water certification in Lake pleasant about 1 month ago and it was nothing great unless you like looking at underwater saguaro cactus and picnic tables. We did see a couple of large mouth bass.

Most folks opt to head down to San Carlos or even Rocky Point. The only real diving in AZ, is as Tortuga mentioned, Lk. Pleasant and Sagauro Lake.

Don't know the website address, but El Marr Diving, in Mesa, is one of the bigger LDSs that put on bus tours to the Mexican areas.

Hope that helps!

Lk. Havasu is about 200 miles from Phoenix (Mapquest estimate using only Phoenix AZ and Lk Havasu AZ on the request map section).

I found an interesting article on treasure hunting in Lk. Havasu that also mentioned a bit of visibility info. It is sort of old (1994) though..

http://www.adairmag.com/scuba/havasu/

Also, I found one website for an operation serving the Lk. Havasu area...

http://www.diving.net/riverscuba.html

Honestly this looks to be either a solo instructor, or a very small shop. I'm sure there are a few others out there in the area though...

Good Luck!

Colorado river below Lk Mead is supposed to be a real SCUBA rollercoaster ride. I've only read about it. Area dive shops organize the trips.

Thanks for the great information! I hadn't thought of Havasu - it might be too far for a day trip but would make a great weekend! I've heard about the Colorado River too (I think it was written up in Skin Diver magazine ~ they identified a dive spot in every state)

I'm going to ask around at dive shops down there next time I'm in town. I'll let you know if I hear of anything else!

Thanks again!:)

sorry I didn't catch this thread when it was newer..

diving here in Arizona here are my thoughts

It is better than the stock tanks
Warmer than Ice
no Gators

the local lakes around the Phoenix area, Pleasant, Saguaro, and Canyon
you can dive them all but the viz at the very best is 20 feet but on average about 7.

The water temp now is quickly aproachin 70

I would dive with you at any time, the Warmer the better

I posted in another thread about the poor conditions at Saguaro Lake. I should point out that it was when the algae was blooming as my instructor pointed out then so vis was next to nothing (June). Bleck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom