Is there anyway to reattach Pelican Pick-N-Pluck foam?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
TSA decided to just jam my gear back in my case last month, with absolutely zero consideration for it's worth or potentially damaging it. In the process they broke a bunch of the foam apart.

I seem to remember Pelican suggesting rubber cement, but I tried that in the past and it didn't really work to well.

Crazy glue needs well fitting surfaces, not something porous like foam. Gorilla glue handles lots of things but the way it expands some it might make a mess. and it will be hard and ugly when it's dried. (If you try Gorilla Glue the clear stuff seems to expand less, but also doesn't seem to work as well as the original stuff.)

I would check a fabric/craft store, there are all sorts of special purpose glues and you should be able to find something that is appropriate for foam and stays flexible. Look for the Aleene's glues. Maybe something like Foamtastic Glue or Flexible Stretchable Fabric Glue would work.

3M spray adhesive is recommended to repair latex foam for mattresses and such - might work for this?

Henrik

3M spray adhesive is recommended to repair latex foam for mattresses and such - might work for this?

Henrik

Headliner adhesive might work as well.

Problem is it's messy and stays tacky. You'd have to mask everything to avoid over spraying.

Headliner adhesive might work as well.
As in boat/RV headliner? Just did a quick search and looks like it's mostly a spray adhesive. I think it may have the same problem as the 3M.

Actually got a response on Wetpixel from someone who says they've used a hot glue gun. I think that may be the way to go. Less mess than the sprays, and they also said it makes a really strong bond.

As in boat/RV headliner? Just did a quick search and looks like it's mostly a spray adhesive. I think it may have the same problem as the 3M.

Yes. Headliners are a cloth material with spongy foam backing that is glued to a styrofoam type soundboard.

Hot glue might work, but might be a little "stiffer." Dunno if that matters or not. Either way, I'd try one or two small pieces before doing the whole thing.

Ii don't think it would, since it's only going to be stiff where it's glued, and overall that foam is really soft.

Ii don't think it would, since it's only going to be stiff where it's glued, and overall that foam is really soft.

Good luck with it. Let us know what you try and how it works out!

Back
Top Bottom