Is there anyway to be involved/support the diving community without actually diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulAllen

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello, first of all I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. If there’s anyway it can be moved to the correct one without much issue I would appreciate it. If not I will make a new thread where it would be more suitable.

I had a quick question for you guys though. Like the title states, is there anyway to be involved with or support the diving community without suiting up and going underwater. Due to health concerns with my lungs, I don’t think I would be able to use the tanks/gasses/air mixtures (idk the right term, sorry) correctly. Knowing this would only make me more anxious and the last thing I need underwater if some type of panic attack. I understand how dangerous they are. If you would like to know more info about what type of health concerns I may be prone to while using underwater breathing tanks, please send me a message and I will try and be more specific.

I would try and give examples of things I can do to be involved but this is all pretty new to me, and I wouldn’t be sure where to start. If this is more of a “F off, if you’re not diving then don’t even bother” type thing then I have no problem not continuing to try and get involved. It’s always something that has interested me, and I wish I was able to partake and see what the underwater world is personally like, but you can only do so much with what you have sometimes.

I’m open to all kinds of suggestions that you all may have for me, even if it’s of the “F off” variety :wink:

Thank guys

The obvious thing would be to operate a boat. If you were to take divers on your private boat, you'd have to be insured if you took any kind of payment (even in beer, etc.). I don't know all the legalities, you'd have to look into it. You may also need a boat capts. license. Or, you could volunteer to go along on a diver's boat and "man the boat" while the diver (and possibly a dive buddy) were diving. Leaving an untended boat to dive is a big no-no.
You could work retail part time in a local dive shop.

If you're mechanically inclined, you could look into the equipment repair/maintenance side of things at a dive shop. Or, as others mentioned, help on a dive boat.

Welcome to ScubaBoard! You don't say what your interests or talents are, but sure, there are plenty of ways to be involved in the industry.

Scuba Retail
Dive Gear Tech/Repair
Dive Travel agent
Boat Captain/Charter
Equipment design/development

If you can maybe expand upon what you're good at, or what your past experiences are, we might be able to steer more specific ideas

I suppose you could work in dive retail, or boat/support, dive travel, etc.
But In my opinion what is severely lacking in the world of diving is overall dive marketing and someone who is capable like a lightning rod to bring the world of diving to the masses and make people aware that we’re still here. I’m thinking big time like world wide liaison and crusader getting the world of diving back into the public eye and back on Main Street, not small potatoes like working in a dive shop. There are already too many people for those jobs and they are notoriously low pay.
I know it sounds grand and far fetched but you asked. Become an influencer and a spearhead then figure out how you can make a profit from that to support yourself.
Most divers just bitch about nothing ever getting done, but they do nothing themselves. However, you being removed from the actual act of diving but still having a passion for the sport you can see things from a different angle and that might be good. Divers sometimes are too immersed in the activity (pun intended) and it can cloud their vision.
Do you have any film making experience?

Your best bet is probably to just get involved with a local dive club. You’re in FL, so I’m sure there are plenty of those around.

A non-diver working in dive retail? My dive shop actually requires the front line staff to be divers themselves.

many good suggestions above. i would also add that perhaps volunteering with local dive groups doing environmental clean ups. we have a group here that organizes 2 or 3 of these every year. they are always looking for people to help in and out of the water.
depending on if you have a dive shop near by, you may be able to volunteer helping on the boats, helping instr and guides with classes or customers. not with the intention of taking someones paid job away. just to help out. we have had a number of people do that here. they are usually divers though, and they got to know staff etc so it was a gradual process. maybe if you know someone involved with a shop they could help you out with that.
anything you could do to help the ocean or inland lake environments will help all divers. turtle rescue programs, coral building groups, clean ups etc.

Some additional ways I can think of:
- Not an option for everybody, but if you can afford it; financial support for good causes (scubaboard, AWARE, Baseline and similar environmental projects. Research some and pick one you deem worthy)
- logistics and dive site management with a club. Be that guy that notes down time in and out, gas in and out, hands over that extra weight, puts the camera in the fresh water bucket etc. Just hang out with divers to learn what you can do. It is a lot, and is appreciated
- Historical: document and research wrecks, share findings in your local community, ask the divers to get you some pictures to complete your article
- Project support; translate a website, make a marketing plan, act as the group travel agent, promote ocean friendly sun block
- Become an EFR / DAN instructor
- Organize the surface part of a cleanup event. All non diving family members can join
- Teach photo / video techniques including post processing
- Depending on your medical situation, become a snorkel or swim trainer

Most things will be easiest to get into if you join a local dive community. I seriously doubt you will get a F-off attitude, I think you will be very welcome.
Discuss your medical issues with your doctor, you might be able to to dive after all. A lot of medical concerns are not so much knock-out criteria, but indicators that you should properly manage the underlying issue before you can dive. Again, talk to your doc, don't rely on the internet for medical advice.
Finally, find whatever complements your fascination with the underwater world, and start doing something with that. If you have a passion for something, I am sure you can find somebody who appreciates your contribution.

There are several charitable organizations that help folks with various forms of special needs to experience diving. Diveheart | Imagine the Possibilities happens to be one that I hope to help with as a buddy once I feel that I am experienced enough. You will probably find that they would be eager to have someone who can help with surface support tasks ranging from organizational to helping divers gear-up/down.

It also sounds (I know, it is the internet, so tone is tough ...) like you would like to dive. If you havent already, you might consider talking to a doctor with training in medical evaluations for diving and see if you conditions are compatible with diving in some form. You can contact the "Divers Alert Network", they may be able to give you an initial sense, but certainly can refer you to an appropriate doctor.
Keep in mind that in basic recreational SCUBA, you can always use plain compressed air. (Oxygen enriched air between 22% and 40% O2 are sometimes used for appropriately trained individuals, but is NOT REQUIRED for basic dives.) Tanked air is very dry and (depending on the exact circumstances) cold but shallow dives can be made with a long-hosed "hookah" system with relatively warm moist air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom