Is there any money in hosting guided dives/being a dive buddy for hire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chadnaylor

Registered
Reaction score
A few of my diving instructor buddies in southern California seem to book these gigs occasionally. Has anyone on here managed to make any money by diving with people for hire, or is it really just a way to help offset the cost of diving more often?

I know one guy that does it in the PNW. I don't think the western United States is a location where you will get a lot of business. Realistically, if you want to make money doing this, you have to be in a more popular spot for water sports, have your own dive boat. I plan on doing this one day in the Greek islands. Not a dive destination by any means, but I know a number of folks who make a decent living this way.

Money as in retiring early? Or Money as in collecting empty beer cans?

I did it once and asked for $30 for gas money. But I never advertised, it happened through scubaboard.

Factor in the cost of liability insurance.

I dive all over the world...and hire local dive guides. I do not need anyone to hold my hand or check my SPG for me. I hire them for their local knowledge.

Here in the Marshall Islands we charge $50 per dive.

I dive all over the world...and hire local dive guides. I do not need anyone to hold my hand or check my SPG for me. I hire them for their local knowledge.

Here in the Marshall Islands we charge $50 per dive.

BTW...I pay about $600 annually for insurance alone. Then factor in professional training agency fees (Divemaster or Instructor fees thru PADI), gear, tanks, fills and transportation to the dive site(s).

It might pay for getting your tanks filled and a couple of cheeseburgers at McDonald's. But, I doubt you could make a living doing JUST that.

I dove at Blue Grotto last week and paid $30 to have the In-House Scuba School Instructor take me on a guided tour of the spring. I thought is was well worth the money. But, he gets his tanks filled for free and you'd have to do a lot of those each day to make a living at it.

As jobs go, getting to dive and getting paid to do it wouldn't suck.

Back
Top Bottom