Is there an easier way to get your wet suit on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been wondering if there any tips some have on putting on these thick 7 mil wet suits. I am used to putting on my 4.3 mil wet suit for surfing but the thick 7 mil is a much harder to get on and my wife also has the same issues. Our wet suits fit fine once they are on. They don't feel to tight or uncomfortable.

I just thought I would ask in case some had some tips.

For those who are going to tell me to just lose 10 pounds and the suit is going to slip right on, I'm already working on that one.:wink:
Thanks in advance.
Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear

Get in up to your butt. Insert both arms up to the elbow. Jump up and down with your arms raised above your head and wiggle a bit. Should slide into place. Ignore comments from fellow divers.

A skin, socks or nylons help. Zippers on the forearms and calves are golden.

Fold your wetsuit down so that when you get the legs on the rest of it is folded down your legs - then roll it up the rest of the way. If that doesn't help, I've used creme rinse (hair conditioner) to get my 8/7 on. Just slather that stuff inside the suit and on your skin - but try to get your hands dried off before pulling and tugging the suit on. Have others take pictures and post them here. I suspect if there were videos/pictures of some of the positions I've found myself in I'd have a million hits on youtube!!!!

Been many years since I dove a suit that thick, but baby powder always helped me (a light dusting inside the suit significantly reduces the friction of skin vs neoprene)... may not be the best "dive boat-friendly" alternative because it is hard to avoid "dusting" the diver right next to you with a wee bit of baby powder that inevitably "poofs" out of the suit as you pull it on...

Best wishes.

Getting into a wetsuit easily is dependent on technique. The most difficult situation is probably getting into a dry wetsuit when you are sweaty. The process outlined here conquers all.

Baby Powder or a small hand soap bottle filled with 1/4 dawn and 3/4 water does the trick perfectly, but I used these methods to get on a wetsuit that is already wet (ie it is raining outside, or not sunny enough to dry during surface interval). These methods are a little messy and not really for boat diving.

Apart from that, work one leg at a time slowly, I usually make sure that one legs shine guard is perfectly positioned before moving onto the next leg. Once both shineguards are positions, I slowly and piece by piece move the suit up. I might get to waist and readjust there, pull up the excess material. When I put on a wetsuit, it is about getting as much excess material as possible and using it to go up the rest of your body.

Been many years since I dove a suit that thick, but baby powder always helped me (a light dusting inside the suit significantly reduces the friction of skin vs neoprene)... may not be the best "dive boat-friendly" alternative because it is hard to avoid "dusting" the diver right next to you with a wee bit of baby powder that inevitably "poofs" out of the suit as you pull it on...

Best wishes.

I guess after I use the bag trick for the feet/lower leg, the hands and part of the arms I can use the baby powder to help in the other areas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom