Is there a way to tie off SMB reel with no chance of unravelling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My solution
A small piece of 2" webbing. Burn a hole in each end and connect with bungee cord to make a cylindrical sleeve. Put this sleeve over the spool. Line covered, easy to remove.

Here's mine. It's rigged this way whether it's in my drysuit pocket or clipped to my tail d-ring. Never had it slip. When in my pocket, the spool goes in first, then the smb on top of it.

IMG_2072.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2072.jpg
    IMG_2072.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 213
I put my spool in an XS weight pocket tucked down back by the wing on the rh shoulder harness. The bolt snap and sausage hang out the corner of the top flap cover. It is quick to deploy and cannot unravel. N

I am having difficulties following this. Do REELS have holes in them. I have sceen only spools with holes in them to do the snap tie off thing with. All my reels have no holes in them to clip to.

---------- Post added February 18th, 2014 at 11:02 PM ----------

Tis is a great solotion for a spool but how about a reel.

Here's mine. It's rigged this way whether it's in my drysuit pocket or clipped to my tail d-ring. Never had it slip. When in my pocket, the spool goes in first, then the smb on top of it.

View attachment 177999

Op does say "reel"

On a finger spool I attach a thick rubber wrist band, tied about 4" from the end of the line. I find it to be a very handy keeper, which is very easy to remove and re-install onto the spool, especially at the end of the dive so that I can hand the inflated tube, with line attached, upto the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom