is there a section for BIG travel deals ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rick00001967

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
i was not sure where to post this. i know there is a deals section some where but i don't think it sees a lot of action.
has a section been set up for deals arising from the current craziness ?
i have gotten the usual email offers but nothing seems to be very different from the norm. i thought by now we would start seeing prices slashed for dive destinations all over. like major price reductions.
perhaps with all the restrictions, many places cannot even accept guests, so maybe thats why i am not seeing many ?

I was wondering about this too. I'm hoping to dive somewhere in October (hopefully we can travel then?!) in the Caribbean and was hoping to be spending no more than $2,000 for a couple for 7 nights. Best I'm finding is Cozumel or Roatan, but we've already dove in Cozumel before so I wouldn't mind somewhere new.

Doesn't seem like this is an unusual deal though, just the going rate

ever been to playa del carmen ? pricing for accommodations are wayyyy cheaper than coz. obviously it depends on the type of place you choose but over all the prices i see are much better in playa. it may have something to do with the new taxes in coz. you yankees are lucky when it comes to travel to mexico. the peso has takin a beating so you will save a bunch of money. our canadian dollar is better than it was against the peso but nowhere near as good as yours.

I haven't looked too much at PDC actually. I kinda assumed Cozumel was a little cheaper + I've heard the reefs are better in Cozumel? Palancar reef was closed when we went (this past December) so that's part of my motivation for going back.

The nice thing about PDC is easy access to cenotes if we wanna dive those. We've stayed in PDC and swam in cenotes before we were certified, and had fun. And since it's replacing Europe, I wouldn't mind a longer (7+ day) trip with maybe some jungle excursions. The options in Cozumel outside of scuba are really limited

What kinda prices are you seeing in PDC? Best I'm finding in Cozumel for an all-inclusive + 2 tank boat dive per day is on Padi's website for around $2k (7 nights) at Occidental or Allegro. They aren't the best rated resorts, but since we'd like to convince non-scuba friends to come, I'd prefer an all-inclusive!

So yeah, $2k for 7 nights per couple with 6 2-tank dives (12 dives total). And I'm guessing an additional afternoon or night dive is around $55 each

for sure the reefs are better in coz then playa. i have heard if you can get a shop to take you further south of playa that the reefs are actually really good. we have done some ocean diving in playa that is decent (saw 7 turtles on one dive once) but have also done some that were pretty bad.

you are correct that the main reason people would stay in the playa area would be for the cenote diving. you can even look at staying further south near tulum or akumal for a completely different experience than playa.

tons of options for stuff to do on the mainland that is for sure.

can i assume your price of 2000 per week per couple incl dives is in us dollars and does NOT include flights ?

up here a lot of people book package vacations. so the hotel and flight is an all in one price. diving would normally be an extra.
my wife and i do not typically do this. we usually build our own packages. we have used all kinds of booking sites from expedia to air bnb. we usually get much better pricing up here through booking sites than booking direct with the hotels. but it depends where we are going and what time of year etc.

in coz we have stayed a couple times at hotel cozumel (i have also stayed at the park royal and casa del mar) and done the all inclusive deal. but we were looking at the fall 2020 (so we could go back to help with the turtle rescue program) and i am seeing prices of like 3200 canadian for 14 days. the non all inclusive option (brfst only) there was about 2300 canadian. and that did not incl any flights. that is really expensive compared to what we have paid in the past.
i think i was seeing casa mexicana (in town on coz w/brkfst only) for like 2200 canadian for 14 days.

in playa we could easily get a budget hotel for 3 or 400 canadian a week. if we wanted a condo we could get one for anywhere from 500 to a gazzillion dollars depending on the size, area, and how fancy we would need.

FD7B3DEA-4449-40E2-BB40-A15FE262AFF7.jpeg

haha not exactly what i was looking for

I have seen a couple of deals come across but - we don't know when this will end and things are cheap for a reason.
Sign up for a deal in May and then have a travel ban to September is not much of a deal.

Try Bonaire and Caribbean Club. It's about 1K per couple with breakfast, truck rental, tanks nitrox and a few boat dives. Looked this a.m. it's 800 per if no boat dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom